Author Topic: Ipad charger & plug for iPhone?  (Read 817 times)

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Ipad charger & plug for iPhone?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 August 23 18:01 BST (UK) »
That's very good to know, thank you.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 19 August 23 13:24 BST (UK) »
If the cap fits ie the attachment end goes in the slot I don’t see why it wouldn’t work.
I think it should be made clear that this only applies with any degree of safety to modern devices from reputable manufacturers and designed to plug into a multiplicity of different computers and the like.

Other devices, even if they use the same plug, may have very different power requirements and if they, or the power supply or lead, came from a dubious manufacturer or seller of cheap look-alikes on the internet or a market stall you need to proceed very warily. Although it is true that a device should only take the current it needs from a power supply, some rely on vital features being provided in the power supply used multiple times rather than the cheap throwaway device itself. This notoriously includes current-limiting to prevent over-charging, which had lead to fire or explosion in a number of recently-publicised cases.

The "if it fits" rule rule should never be applied without circumspection  to those devices which use cylindrical "coaxial" power connectors of various diameters. The electrical requirements, however, are many and various. Apart from voltage and current differences, they could be AC or DC and if the latter, polarity and whether stabilised or unstabilised. An unstabilised supply will give a much higher voltage when off-load and this can kill an expensive device that doesn't have its own internal regulation.

In short, mix and match power supplies and devices with extreme caution.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 19 August 23 14:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Chris Doran;  family are visiting this weekend and will be sorting things out for me.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 19 August 23 17:54 BST (UK) »
I know little or nothing about such things,so  would be very cautious before using anything not actually supplied with the gadget I needed to charge.

In fact I would not do it.
Have the gadgets and chargers colour coded as I won’t in all probability
remember which is which.

Hope you get it sorted safely.
Viktoria.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 19 August 23 18:43 BST (UK) »
Family here now and sorting things out for me!

Phew.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 19 August 23 23:17 BST (UK) »
I’m sure it it all sorted by now nanny jan, but in case others have the same question …. daughter used to work for Apple and said if the cables for the devices fit, yes, you can use an Ipad charger on Iphone and vice versa.

Wattage is different, so an Iphone charger used for an Ipad won’t charge very well or quickly and is OK for temporary use but if you continue using it whilst charging, the charge could still go down. An Ipad charger is more powerful so using it to charge an Iphone is fine.

That is the gist of it but I won’t go into the tech details she told me.  :)

Offline martin hooper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 20 August 23 14:37 BST (UK) »
Manufacturers encourage myths about the danger of connecting chargers not of their manufacture. For obvious reasons. They cannot change the laws of physics. Interesting to note that modern devices especially smartphones don't even ship with a charger anymore.

But I accept that if you don't understand then proceed with caution and stick with the manufacturers recommendation.

Martin

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 20 August 23 14:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks to my daughter-in-law it has all been dealt with…….phew.