Author Topic: You have tobe born in Sheffield to buy a BMD certificate from a register office  (Read 899 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Has anybody else en-counted this in other register offices

There is a post on a thread about a birth not in the GRO indexes though there was baptism at the Cathedral Sheffield with date of birth given on the baptism,
I've had the problem before in my own town with a BMD event not in the GRO indexes nationally but our own local town register office had their own indexes with their event number and found my missing burial. They gave me the index number so I could order an event certificate.

It was a nice morning today in Huddersfield, with my packed sandwiches, free bus pass, a pre study of bus times

I set off to town, then Holmfirth for the none stop bus to Barnsley, then X17 the limited stop bus that goes on the motorway to Sheffield that stops near the Sheffield register office. I explained about the missing birth off the GRO indexes, the baptism details with the D O B on it and about the family history researcher living in Spain, hence me enquiring in person.  I asked for their index numbers of the event for the chap in Spain. I can't give any details till you fill out a form to order a certificate- Was the chap in Spain born in Sheffield- don't know I said- he'll need proof he was born in Sheffield.

I just walked away in disgust saying to other people waiting. I never heard so much bureaucratic waffling in my 73 years

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: You have tobe born in Sheffield to buy a BMD certificate from a register office
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 August 23 22:26 BST (UK) »
It makes me wonder if there were something other than place of birth going on.

Possible instance that the birth was "too recent", according to an interpretation of GDPR.

Or you perhaps were unclear in your request

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline garden genie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: You have tobe born in Sheffield to buy a BMD certificate from a register office
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 August 23 23:32 BST (UK) »
I thought they were not actually obliged to look anything up for you unless you are buying a certificate. However, the degree of helpfulness varies a lot from office to office. Some time ago some of the London area offices were refusing to deal with family history requests at all because they were just too busy. (I don't know if that is still the case.)
What a pity Sheffield does not appear to have been covered by the local BMD indexes at http://www.yorkshirebmd.org.uk

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 August 23 00:56 BST (UK) »
It makes me wonder if there were something other than place of birth going on.

Possible instance that the birth was "too recent", according to an interpretation of GDPR.

Or you perhaps were unclear in your request

Hi Pauline,
Its been a long time since I conversed (confabed   ;D) with you  :)

The birth of the certificate not being in the the national indexes, i was after at local level BMD index register office in Sheffield  was a baptism at Sheffield Cathedral St Peter and St Paul 5th May 1839 and the baptism had the date of birth on it as 28th March 1839

Since starting this thread - I'm wondering if the staff member dealing with me was mixing up the place of the birth in Sheffield of the event birth I was after and my place of birth or the chap in Spain place of birth needing to be Sheffield
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 August 23 01:00 BST (UK) »
I thought they were not actually obliged to look anything up for you unless you are buying a certificate. However, the degree of helpfulness varies a lot from office to office. Some time ago some of the London area offices were refusing to deal with family history requests at all because they were just too busy. (I don't know if that is still the case.)
What a pity Sheffield does not appear to have been covered by the local BMD indexes at http://www.yorkshirebmd.org.uk

Its a pity! as you say :  :)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 August 23 07:40 BST (UK) »
I have found that some local offices are much more helpful than others, so i always say that if they find the entry i’m looking for - usually because i want them to check a few details first - that i’ll buy the certificate from them. Saves any hassle.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 August 23 08:41 BST (UK) »

Was the chap in Spain born in Sheffield- don't know I said- he'll need proof he was born in Sheffield.

Hello

I wonder if certain rulings might have something to do with illegal immigration and/or the risks of identity theft.

I heard of someone's ex-wife born England who had a house owned outright as part of the settlement sold it and then lived at so many rental addresses and used various alias names.

She has now been asked to provide Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce and other paperwork, to try to prove who she is to get a British Passport.

She has also been told she must apply herself at the Registry Offices who originally dealt with the events, or the Office now holding the records.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 August 23 09:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark,

I was wondering if new rules for obtaining  certificates, passports etc, for or by genuine people having to prove their identity in person at the register office, a person abroad in the  in Spain, the staff member at the register office not taking in what I was after ?  the BMD index information  and then staff saying their policy was - they only check their index records when a form is fill in - to Order a certificate.. They then decide from info you provide and cross reference what their records provide ? that will decide if its the correct certificate you request but overlooking the original reason and time period 1839 family history. and thus up to date rules applying protecting against  ID theft of person applying

Also protecting against situations arising like in the film  " Day of the Jackal"

Thus maybe new rules who can apply - only local born Sheffield people can apply for a certificate to scale down numbers of applicants and as a member posted earlier that register office staff don't really want to be dealing with family history requests as it takes their time off other serious duties.

??? ( Sounds plausible)

regards

Dave

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 August 23 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Dave

From what I can make out, it sounds like they want the applicant abroad to fill the form in and apply personally.

Mark