Author Topic: image (jpeg) of The Union Coffee House Union Street Warrington Lancs.  (Read 661 times)

Offline algy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
image (jpeg) of The Union Coffee House Union Street Warrington Lancs.
« on: Thursday 17 August 23 10:21 BST (UK) »
Is there a possibility of improving the quality of this old newspaper photo From the Warrington Examiner dated 1937, the newspaper is no longer in existence since the late 1930's.
Please, algy.

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: image (jpeg) of The Union Coffee House Union Street Warrington Lancs.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 September 23 21:20 BST (UK) »
Had a go but......

Offline jmagarac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 September 23 05:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Algy... I am afraid I do not see much hope for that. I see that you shot it with your Galaxy and that was a good idea. Scanning something that is already a dot pattern, will often produce even less desirable results. It often results in a  distractive moiré pattern. So a camera capture was a good idea. If you believe you have captured all that there is in the original, then it is likely that the halftone dot - first reproduced in newspapers in 1869 - is not very good in this reproduction. Also... if the original size isn't very large, then you are dealing with even less possible detail to begin with. Many of the early attempts by smaller papers did not hold fine detail. Highlights were blown out and blacks filled in quickly. Some publishers overexposed their screens in an effort to keep the 3/4 tone and shadows from filling in and subsequently blew out their highlights. Bottom line, it is hard enough to "descreen" modern newspaper halftone reproductions, and even more difficult with vintage impressions.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 September 23 16:28 BST (UK) »
Anyone who has ever tried to make the best image of a WW1 soldier's newspaper photo will identify with what you said. Short of making it up, the best that can be achieved, I have found, is a more even tone.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 September 23 17:39 BST (UK) »
There's a routine that I've used in the past that was quite good but I've forgotten what it's called. I think Peter has used it.  I think it might have been based on Fourier transforms!

I'll see if I can find  ref to it.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 September 23 22:33 BST (UK) »
Gadget, Image J is a free downloadable app that has an FFT (Fast Fourier Transform) tool that is useful for diminishing the lines/dots in some pics. I tried it on this one but it didn't give a decent improvement. I tried a few other things but achieved nothing worth posting.
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 September 23 23:37 BST (UK) »
No, didn't know about that one, Gadget. Thanks for pointing it out.

Two problems though:

My Mac has the M1 processor which that app apparently doesn't work with.

And, I think the bigger problem is that this app, along with the FFT tool (which may be at the base of the rognemedia tool anyway) removes or reduces the lines or dots from an otherwise reasonable image. In the present case the dots are the image, so the app blurs or distorts the detail you want to keep.

The AI developers need to keep inventing ;D

Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.