Author Topic: image (jpeg) of The Union Coffee House Union Street Warrington Lancs.  (Read 662 times)

Offline jmagarac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: image (jpeg) of The Union Coffee House Union Street Warrington Lancs.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 September 23 23:54 BST (UK) »
I agree with Carol... there is likely very little that can be done with this - short of making something (detail) up. There is simply nothing there in the highlight tone. No dot, no detail. The midtown is very flat and the 3/4 tone and shadow are not refined (resolved) very well. And I doubt this is a capture (scan) issue, as much as it is the nature of the original halftone impression and its age.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 19 September 23 00:09 BST (UK) »
I don't think you should write off these apps without trying them or seeing some of the results from others, jmagarac. There have been some pretty good results in the past that I can remember. 

This particular image is probably too far gone but to dismiss the apps without trying  is very negative.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline jmagarac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 19 September 23 00:43 BST (UK) »
I don't mean to be negative. I retract anything that I may have written that deters anyone from giving it a go. I "hope" someone can do something great with this. I am not dismissing them Gadget, I am simply stating what I believe to be likely in "this particular" case. I would recommend that anyone attempting to convert a halftone into a continuous tone image try any and all of your suggestions already mentioned, and or any others out there. I simply thought that this image was going to be very difficult.

Offline Uhnnohn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 19 September 23 18:44 BST (UK) »
My Try

Offline Uhnnohn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 19 September 23 19:12 BST (UK) »
And a little bit of color

Offline algy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 25 October 23 15:38 BST (UK) »
First, I have been out of commission for a while would wish to thank all of you for your replies and for the effort that you have taken in finding an answer to the problem, I have decided that I shall reduce the size of the image which although obviously makes the image smaller the overall picture appears slightly sharper. Thank you again to all of you on Rootschat, Algy.