Author Topic: Merchant Navy Discharge number query  (Read 258 times)

Offline adicol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Merchant Navy Discharge number query
« on: Thursday 17 August 23 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Whilst on a seemingly endless search for my Grandfather's Merchant Navy records, I came across a discharge number on the NA which may be his but it may also have been mistranscribed. Sadly, only the medal card can be downloaded and I have no idea how else to locate further info without a visit to London.

His alias (don't ask!) was Thomas John Jones and his alleged (again, don't ask) D.o.B was 01.07.1918. He was from Tonypandy, Glamorgan...(well, actually Trealaw, but yeah...don't ask!)

I have found a medal card for a Thomas William Jones born 01.07.1918 with the discharge number R.251398, however, when I downloaded it, 'William' has been added retrospectively in pen. A further search of this discharge number came up with two results for a Thomas John Jones, born 1917, in Pony Pandy...their typo, not mine.

It is a long shot, but I think there may be some slim chance this is my grandfather but how can I locate any more info?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Kindest regards,

Colleen
DUR; Stephenson, Wray, Collier, Lowther,Rothery
GLA; Jones, Allen, Holland, Nicholas,George,Lewis
ESS; Davey
W.Yorks; Martin, Hodgson, Tyler,Harrold
LAN; Dodd, Constable, Brinkley
Guernsey; Le Riche

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Navy Discharge number query
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 August 23 19:08 BST (UK) »
Jones T. born 1917 and Jones, Thomas John b. 1917 and Jones, Thomas William b. 1918 are probably the same seaman. The Dis.A numbers are the same so if they have been transcribed correctly then they are one and the same seaman. He doesn't appear to have any records in the Fourth Register of Seamen so his only records will be in the Fifth Register 1941 - 1972.

So to be sure you will have to obtain his Seaman's Pouch which you have already noted in BT 372 and also he has a Combined Operations Merchant Navy (COMNO) Pouch held in BT 391 - This is for service on a ship from Normandy 44 and beyond. There should also be a service record called a CRS 10 for him but unfortunately you will need to go to Kew or get a researcher to copy those for you.

Regards
Hugh

Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline adicol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 August 23 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Hugh,

Thanks so much for this info and clarification.

My grandad served in the Merchant Navy until the early 1960s, so this would make sense why his records would be in the Fifth Register! 

Many thanks,

Colleen
ESS; Davey
Guernsey; Le Riche

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 August 23 11:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Coleen,
If you are going to obtain his records now or in the future at Kew his form CRS 10 should be held in piece BT 382/911 for Jones T.
For Jones T.J and Jones T.W look in BT 382/912. His CRS 10 should give you a list of his ships from 1941 - until leaving the service. If he joined the MN prior to January, 1941, his ships from that period until 1941 will hopefully be listed on a CR2 card within the Seaman's Pouch in BT 372 otherwise you would need to look at Crew Agreements for the first known ship and work backwards.

I hope that helps

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline adicol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 August 23 11:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for your help :) Out of interest, is there anywhere else these records would be held or just the NA?

ESS; Davey
Guernsey; Le Riche

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 August 23 11:38 BST (UK) »
Out of interest, is there anywhere else these records would be held or just the NA?

Only at TNA Kew, I am afraid. Their paid search service https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/contact-us/our-paid-search-service/request-a-paid-search/ works out quite expensive for obtaining those files. Much cheaper if you know someone who can copy on your behalf.

Regards
Hugh 
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline adicol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 August 23 11:45 BST (UK) »
I am going to London in November so I am going to book a visit. Thanks so much for your help with this!

Regards,

Colleen
ESS; Davey
Guernsey; Le Riche