Author Topic: RYDERs from Newcastle to Australia? Sometimes went by the surname Turner!  (Read 302 times)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
RYDERs from Newcastle to Australia? Sometimes went by the surname Turner!
« on: Thursday 17 August 23 21:57 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to make sense of my DNA matches, several indicate that one of my RYDER family from Newcastle emigrated or temporarily landed in Australia, particularly Victoria state, maybe Melbourne area.

The Ryders had arrived in Newcastle upon Tyne about 1846, William RYDER b about 1810 in Heston Middlesex was a soldier from Woolwich Barracks, he married Elizabeth TURNER in Sheffield in 1831.

They had 7 children in Ireland, Woolwich Barracks and finally the last in Newcastle upon Tyne. There the family stayed as William was invalided out of the Army.

(My direct ancestor, their son Henry Joseph RYDER got really confused with his surname when he started having children in 1854 in Westgate, Newcastle. He had 13 children, sometimes their surname was RYDER, sometimes it was TURNER (his mother's maiden surname), or even both).

So I'm looking for any RYDER's or TURNER's from Newcastle who might have been in Victoria Australia at some time after 1870. They could be linked with families called Riddell or Tytler or Nicholson.

Hoping for a clue, clever sleuths
Gen in Northumberland UK
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: RYDERs from Newcastle to Australia? Sometimes went by the surname Turner!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 August 23 03:50 BST (UK) »
A bit tricky as they are both quite common names. The victorian BDM is free to search, and the index provides a fair amount of info (certificates will contain more information).
https://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/research-and-family-history/search-your-family-history

Also trove is a valuable source for newspaper items:
https://trove.nla.gov.au/

Do you think it was a child of Henry Joseph RYDER/TURNER that came to Australia?

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 August 23 05:49 BST (UK) »
Where were all members of the likely family in 1881?

Have you accounted for them?

Is the person male or female?

You would need to narrow down the search frame a little for records to be usable.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 August 23 07:43 BST (UK) »
I am looking for family knowledge of a relation who went/or was sent to Victoria Australia from Newcastle. I have a close DNA match (2nd-3rd cousin) with the Riddell family near Melbourne Victoria state. I've never been able to pin the relationship down to a particular common ancestor. Those particular Riddells came from Northumberland in the 1830's so that's a bit far back for a 2-3rd cousin match. (I think?) Our common DNA matches indicate a link to my Ryder family in Newcastle but as there were 13 children, it's proving challenging to find where they all went.

I am familiar with the usual resources but I am always willing to learn about new ones (thanks maddys52)

Gen in Northumberland UK

UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 August 23 08:03 BST (UK) »
I hope that your post will be seen by someone with actual family knowledge of a relative from Newcastle who went to Aust. Fingers crossed for you.

In terms of being sent, I am not sure what your thinking is there, but in case you were thinking of convict transportation, it ended round 1868 and there was virtually no convict scheme effective in Victoria.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 August 23 08:34 BST (UK) »
sparrett

thanks for the tip about lack of transported convicts in Victoria

Gen in NBL England