Author Topic: 1st Battalion The Royal Irish Regiment Egypt (Nile Campaigns) Sudan.  (Read 142 times)

Offline Bill93185

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1st Battalion The Royal Irish Regiment Egypt (Nile Campaigns) Sudan.
« on: Friday 18 August 23 06:23 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone.
Please help in getting particular details on the Egypt (Nile Campaigns) Sudan.

I have had previous posts in RootsChat, under the topic "Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-8" regarding my relative Thomas Francis Croke (1st Btn 18th Foot Regiment Reg. No. 69B/854.) All have been very rewarding in getting history up to when he leaves India for Egypt.

Introduction
I now find Thomas Francis Croke on 29 Aug 1884; sailed with his regiment from Bombay to Egypt on HMS Hankow and three weeks later arrived at Cairo on 29 Sep 1884.

Next, Thomas, now takes part in the war in Egypt from Sep 1884 to Feb 1885. The regiment joins an 11,000 strong force to be sent up the Nile to rescue General Charles Gordon in Khartoum.

I have read allot on the internet, and I get lost in the amount of reading. I seem to drive OK through the first part of the campaign. That is moving from Cairo 12 Nov 1884 southwards by train, barges, sail boats etc along the Nile to the city of Korti on 27 Jan 1884.

Then, I understand two columns were formed; one to stay on the Nile upstream the other column to cross the desert; both hoping to save Khartoum.

Question
I need more detail after the fall of Khartoum 26 Jan 1885, particularly how the 1st Btn 18th Foot Regiment, who was in this campaign, returned to Cairo as some troops went via the desert route to join the Nile, whilst others went back on the Nile..... All somehow all getting together back in Cairo.

Thomas sailed from Egypt to Plymouth England. He embarked at Alexandria Aug 24 1885, on Steam Ship Stirling Castle, and arrived at Plymouth Sept 9. 1885.

Thanks Bill Croke
Cheers from Australia.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: 1st Battalion The Royal Irish Regiment Egypt (Nile Campaigns) Sudan.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 August 23 06:40 BST (UK) »

You've posted in Armed Forces Resources which is for resources not queries. I've asked a moderator to move this thread to the Armed Forces board.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 August 23 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hello again Bill,

I think one of the best sources you will find on this subject is The Campaigns and History of the Royal Irish Regiment written by Brigadier-General Stannus Geoghegan, and published in 1911 Edinburgh and London: Blackwood.
Fortunately it's available online at Archive.org courtesy of Project Gutenberg. The 1st Battalion's role in the Nile Expedition starts at page 260, but the account of their return journey, which you specifically asked about, begins on page 279 (link here).

Offline Bill93185

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 August 23 01:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy J2022

Thank you Andy for answering me.
It's been a ride in getting specific information on the return by the troops to Cairo .

Relying on feedback cuts through the difficulty.

Thanks Bill Croke
Cheers from Australia.