Author Topic: Susan ROLLAN nee ELLIS {aka TOWNEY}(Port Kembla)  (Read 448 times)

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Susan ROLLAN nee ELLIS {aka TOWNEY}(Port Kembla)
« on: Saturday 19 August 23 04:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone
    I am doing research on the above and I have just found a "little" more information on her.

In a newspaper article Evening News Wednesday 1 June 1910 - Page 3 in reference to the Port Kembla camp

Title:- THE WELFARE OF THE BLACKS. EASTERN AND SOUTHERN CAMPS. POLICE INSPECTIONS. AN OCTOGENARIAN AT PORT KEMBLA.

It states that "The camp at Port Kembla is situated on private property . . . Susan Towney aged 84 and three children get government rations etc

Then I found what I believe is her death certificate with a strange variant to her surname as RONALDS which doesn't surprise me very much.

SUSAN RONALDS 3885/1910 registered at Wollongong age 93. Which corresponds with this article.  Attached.

Is there anyway to find out more information on this Camp at Port Kembla?? Susan had 5 children with William Rollan a convict in the Kangaroo Valley area.  He died in Parramatta in 1899 and Susan must have stayed in this camp and not gone with any of her children??

Did either the aboriginal protection board OR the police who inspected them keeps records.  Would love to find out more in general especially anything that relates to Susan.

I will be purchasing her death certificate on Monday.  Kindest regards Dianna

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Susan ROLLAN nee ELLIS {aka TOWNEY}(Port Kembla)
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 August 23 07:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Neale 1961
Thanks very much for the information. Will check it out Regards Dianna

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 August 23 07:58 BST (UK) »
Dianna - is this tree owner related to you ??  Janet Barr ??
https://gw.geneanet.org/jabb645?n=rollan&oc=&p=william+thomas+convict

not forgetting - not all trees are correct ??
this one might be helpful to you ??
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 August 23 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hi garstonite

Thanks for the link!  No Janet Barr no relation!  I've check her information and I have collated a lot more than that.

I guess some people don't continue with their research or as you say have correct information.

Thanks very much though as everything helps.  I think I will stick around the Port Kembla area for more "LOCAL" information.  Kindest regards Dianna

Offline bajjab

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 September 23 22:57 BST (UK) »
Dianna you sent me a message on 20 July 2023,

Stating you had just STARTED researching into Susan Ellis/Rollan asking what my connection was you stated you could not find a death certificate for her? I sent back a very quick and short reply on the way out my door asking if you were related ? and welcome to the mystery, to this day I have had no further reply from you, happy to supply screen shots so no misunderstanding. So I took it as a possible scam.

WE are RELATED DIANNA if you check what I believe is your DNA match under the name DiannaCharles57.

I have researched Susan ( my Mob ) for over 40 odd years and have thousands of certificates to guide the way. I was going to share on here as I have shared certificates to many of my mob,  but have changed my mind. So glad you have found all my tag trail on trove and internet that I left for those that actually do research and not just ask for the info. Just so we are clear I do have Susan’s death certificate she died on 24 March 1910 my research is thorough so please don't make false accusations on an open form and be mindful I am in 99.9% groups and forums around the world for 40 odd years as they come to light. I spend my time trying to correct other people’s incorrect research glad you have found all my info tags/trees research baits.

What you will find on the certificate is a lot of info that has been confused and unless you have back ground knowledge will than add to the false or confused info. I am saddened to have found this and have felt I needed to reply and defend myself and cannot understand the need to lie ? you DNA to my Paternal line happy to supply screen shot to thread ?  I still wonder if you are related to Susan as Nil DNA matches to either of her relationships on any of the DNA's I manage ? Good luck on your research journey. 

Janet

Offline Janelle R

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 September 23 00:11 BST (UK) »
Susan Ellis was my Great Great Grandmother and I am continuing to research more about her as I am planning to visit Kangaroo Valley mid October to explore our family history to find out about our cultural roots. I'm not sure who I will meet up with yet or even where to ask, but I have hope to meet up with an elder who can tell me some stories my heart wants to know.