Author Topic: White Horse St Pancras 1861 Census  (Read 415 times)

Offline Big Dave R

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: White Horse St Pancras 1861 Census
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 19 August 23 12:03 BST (UK) »
St Pancras station was not there in 1861, although the railway started purchasing land for it’s construction in 1861.

The nearby kings cross was open, early railway carriages then were basically Coaches on railway wheels.

Mike

Thanks.  I think it's interesting how they gathered a group of coachmakers from all over the country, not like they could post an advert on social media!

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 19 August 23 12:07 BST (UK) »
I was just going to write something similar - there is a newspaper item in 1861 which mentions a person described as "a coachman on tramp" (giving the alarm at a fire in different public house - in Reading). In fact, quite a few references now that I look for them, over the years.

Worcester Chronicle September 1851
'Victims of the railway'

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 19 August 23 13:53 BST (UK) »
St Pancras station was not there in 1861, although the railway started purchasing land for it’s construction in 1861.

The nearby kings cross was open, early railway carriages then were basically Coaches on railway wheels.

Mike

Thanks.  I think it's interesting how they gathered a group of coachmakers from all over the country, not like they could post an advert on social media!

By 1861 the railways had decimated the horse drawn carriage and cart business, London was full of unemployed workers from that industry, it did not do my blacksmith ancestors any good either  :)

Mike