Author Topic: Location of Basford Register Office in 1919?  (Read 733 times)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Location of Basford Register Office in 1919?
« on: Saturday 19 August 23 18:23 BST (UK) »
My great grandparents married at Basford Register Office in 1919. However I understand that after 1899 the parish of Basford had been transferred to Nottingham registration district.

I also just discovered another marriage that took place at Basford parish church near this time was registered under Nottingham district, rather than Basford. Very confusing...

I am guessing therefore that Basford Register Office was not actually located in Basford itself by 1919. Does anyone know where Basford RO was located in 1919? I've not been able to find the actual address.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Location of Basford Register Office in 1919?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 August 23 20:24 BST (UK) »
Basford was a Registration District in Nottinghamshire from 1837 until 2012, when it was abolished and transferred to Nottinghamshire Registration District.

Basford as a civil parish, was indeed transferred to Nottingham on 1st July 1899.
Lost the part in the parish of Nottingham (which until 1.4.1899 formed the parishes of Basford, Bulwell and North Wilford) to Nottingham registration district.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 August 23 20:27 BST (UK) »
Yes that's correct.

But Basford parish was transferred from Basford district to Nottingham district in 1899 (see the link in my post). Hence, the question as to where the Basford register office was located, as presumably if it was in (the former) Basford civil parish the marriage would have been registered in Nottingham district.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 August 23 20:31 BST (UK) »
Part of the parish of Basford lay within Nottingham.
It was this part that was transferred to Nottingham RD.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 August 23 20:37 BST (UK) »
Basford is a northerly suburb of Nottingham, England, incorporated into the city in 1877. It gave its name to Basford Rural District, which existed from 1894 to 1974.

Close to Basford Register Office is the site of a former workhouse. This was used for Basford and for neighbouring parishes. The workhouse later became a maternity hospital and then a psychiatric hospital.

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 August 23 20:40 BST (UK) »
What happened to the other part then, since Basford parish was abolished in 1899?

Marriages that took place in Basford parish church (St Leodogarius) after that time are registered in Nottingham district. Not Basford.

I guess we're going in circles here, anyway main point of this post was I am looking for the address of the register office in 1919, if anyone knows or can find it?

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 August 23 20:49 BST (UK) »
After 1904, for Birth Registration purposes, the workhouse was identified as 100 Highbury Grove, Basford.

It later became Highbury Hospital.

From what I have read, it was only the part of Basford parish lying within the City of Nottingham that was transferred?

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 August 23 21:00 BST (UK) »
White's Directory of Nottingham, 1920
Basford Union - Registrars
Attached

The Register Office seems to have been at the Basford Public Offices
In Bulwell, as said?