Author Topic: Gnr. 21775, John Craig ANDERSON  (Read 197 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gnr. 21775, John Craig ANDERSON
« on: Sunday 20 August 23 09:18 BST (UK) »
Attached is a snippet from the WW! pension application for John Craig ANDERSON, Gunner 21775, Royal Garrison Artillery

The application was cancelled as he died in the Lord Derby War Hospital in Warrington before the paperwork was processed (his widow did subsequently get a pension)

John was on the 1911 census in his home town of Jarrow working as a caulker in the shipyards.

Am I right in deducing that he originally enlisted in 1904, served 3 years, then was transferred to the Reserve, being re-called in 1914 ?

If I am right is it likely his original service was also with the RGA and, if so, where (if it exists) could I look for his original service record?

Thanks
Boo

Online Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Gnr. 21775, John Craig ANDERSON
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 August 23 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo,

I think you have correctly deduced his service of 3 years with the colours followed by 6 years 9 months in the Reserve and recalled to the colours on 5 August 1914. Since the 3 is a nice round number, I would guess that he initially signed up on a 3/9 engagement.

Given that he was called up so comparatively early in the war I think it's fair to assume he went back to his old regiment, which is another way of saying I think he originally enlisted in the RGA in 1904. I can't find any service record for beyond the pension document you have found and his medal card entries. There is a military hospital admission book entry dated 5 August 1917 for insanity, which I expect you have also seen.

Many service records for personnel who died during the first war were weeded out long before the fire in 1943 which then destroyed so many of the others. This was on the basis that the information necessary for the widow's pension was retained by the Ministry of Pensions and there was no further need for the man's service record itself.

Online Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 August 23 10:21 BST (UK) »
My guess is that the poor sod was suffering from severe shell shock, but even though the psychiatric causes were little understood at the time, and the treatment was rudimentary, it was very rarely fatal. No other injuries (beyond being confused) were noted in the hospital admission book, so one has to suspect that he may have committed suicide if he couldn't cope with his symptoms.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 August 23 10:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the confirmation of my guesswork :-)

I am waiting for the civil death cert (pdf) (as he died in Warrington)  to arrive to see what the cause was recorded as on there.
There was a report of his funeral in the Jarrow Express 14 Sep 1917 which 'said' he died from gas and shell shock.
His widow's pension record says the cause of death was General Paralysis of the Insane, 'aggravated' by active service. I'd hazard a guess that active service was also the cause but there you go.

thanks, your help is appreciated :-)

Boo

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 August 23 12:24 BST (UK) »
The medical term "General Paralysis of the Insane" seems to be associated with late stage syphilis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_paresis_of_the_insane
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 August 23 12:42 BST (UK) »
Useful information, thanks Shaun

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 August 23 12:55 BST (UK) »
From his pension record, his only overseas service prior to France was 15 months in Hong Kong.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 August 23 12:25 BST (UK) »
Thank ShaunJ.

It could well be related to syphillis I suppose, though I do understand that maybe the reported 'gas and shell shock', was perhaps a kind fib to/by his family.
may be the end of the week or early next week before I get the .pdf of his death register entry but I'll report back as to what that said.

Boo