Author Topic: Help in tracking a glamorous couple in a glamorous era from London to Canada  (Read 1560 times)

Offline tornado

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello everyone. I am doing some Family research on behalf of a Cousin . There are a couple of queries we have along the way. So my Cousin wants to know more about her Great Aunt Louisa Smythe Mckenzie . Louisa Beatrice Smythe was born in 1884 in Egremont Wallasey cheshire . Her Father was a James Smythe b 1848 Ireland . Louisa Married a Alexander R Mckenzie in London in 1915 . They emigrated to Alberta Canada soon after . This is where it gets interesting . Whilst in London Louisa was a prof singer at the "Adelphi Theatre". They apparently led a glamorous life here. My Cousin wants to know more about this Alexander  as supposedly he was the Postmaster General in the Canada province? . Maybe a rumour but not sure here . Also , if anyone can find any articles about the couple in Canada . We appreciate any help with this and thank you . 

Offline rutht22000

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help in tracking a glamorous couple in a glamorous era from London to Canada
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 August 23 19:30 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am on the search for newspapers but it seems that Louisa used the name Beatrice/Beatrice Louise in Canada.

They are in Alberta in 1921 but unfortunately I can't make out what Alexander's occupation is.  It looks like Clerk followed by 'Dom Servt' i.e Domestic Servant which is a bit of a stretch away from Postmaster General. He's Canadian, of Scottish origin

Have you got her death in 1990?  She was 104!

There is a list of Postmaster Generals on Wiki and there are no McKenzie's on it
Jeacock
Colebourne
Shepherd
Scotter
Sievers
Knowles
Pritchard
Lilley
Hart/Hertz
Woodmansey
Monnington
Thomas (South Wales)
John (South Wales)
Pearce (South Wales)

Offline rutht22000

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help in tracking a glamorous couple in a glamorous era from London to Canada
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 August 23 20:18 BST (UK) »
On the 1931 Census they are still in Alberta.  His middle name is Robert and is working as a Post Master in the Civil Service.

The rumour is sort of right but just not the Government Cabinet Minister version of a Post Master, he looks more like he ran a community post office.

Might be an idea to get the marriage certificate so you can see what he was doing when they got married and who his father is

Also he was part of the Canadian Expeditionary Force during WW1 and his attestation papers in 1915 say he is a Postal Clerk, born 27 July 1887 Lucknow, Ontario
Jeacock
Colebourne
Shepherd
Scotter
Sievers
Knowles
Pritchard
Lilley
Hart/Hertz
Woodmansey
Monnington
Thomas (South Wales)
John (South Wales)
Pearce (South Wales)

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 August 23 20:43 BST (UK) »

Hi,

I think you are right. I found this,

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01slo/

This looks like a death notice for him in 1948 which also mentions that he was a posmaster,

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/739160757/

Unfortunately I haven't got access to the image but reading through the transcription it seems he might have been a Mason belonging to the Edmonton Lodge.

His service records can be found here, he is in the Canadian Postal Corps.

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01slp/

These say he was born in Lucknow, Ontario but I'm sure it's him as on page 13 there is his military will leaving everything to Louisa who is still living in Cheshire.

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Online dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 August 23 20:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,

In Alexander's WW1 service files, he give his next of kin as Mrs. Christina McKenzie of 3851 Van Buren, Chicago, Illinois.

There is a death Feb. 6, 1916 in Chicago Illinois of Christina McKenzie nee McKay, burial place
Lucknow, Ontario, widow, age 62, address 3851 Van Buren.

There is a birth in Huron County, Ontario for Alexander Robert McKenzie July 27, *1883*, parents
Kenneth McKenzie and Christy McKay.

DB

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 August 23 23:27 BST (UK) »
I've looked up his obit but don't have time to transcribe it right now. Does anyone know if it's okay for me to post it here?

Edited to add: I've got Beatrice's obit, too. She's called Beatrice in their marriage notice.
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Online dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 August 23 00:53 BST (UK) »
Yes, as long as possible living persons are not mentioned by name.

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 August 23 15:00 BST (UK) »
Edmonton Journal
Tues., Oct. 19, 1948

"Ex-Postal Chief, A. McKenzie Dies

"Former Edmonton postmaster, A. R. McKenzie, 65, died at his home at 8308 110 ave. Monday.

"Completing 40 years in the postal service here, Mr. McKenzie retired in 1946. He rose through the ranks to be postmaster in 1930.

"A native of Lucknow, Ont., he joined the Edmonton staff in 1906 when there were only seven members. He began his career as a general delivery clerk in the city office, rose to a sorter and later became principal clerk in charge of the registration branch.

"In 1922 Mr. McKenzie was promoted to assistant postmaster and succeeded F. H. Smith as postmaster seven years later.

"A veteran of the First Great War, he went overseas from Edmonton with the Postal Corps. Serving in France, he transferred to the fighting ranks in the front line in 1916. He returned to resume his work here in 1919.

"Funeral services will be held Wed. at 4:00 p.m. at Howard and McBride's Chapel. Rev. W. M. Nainby will officiate and burial will be in the Edmonton Cemetery.

"Surviving are: his widow; one brother, William of Victoria; three sisters, Mrs. Anne Wyneken and Miss Aida McKenzie of Edmonton, Mrs. D. Rummell, Oxnard, Calif."

[Edited to add: I'm sorry if the image appears too large; it's only 374 KB, and I don't know what else to do.]
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 August 23 15:07 BST (UK) »
The Edmonton Bulletin
Tues., Oct. 19, 1948

"Former Postmaster Dies In Edmonton

"Edmonton's postmaster from June, 1930, to April, 1946, Alexander R. McKenzie, died Monday.

"He had been in ill-health for some time.

"Mr. McKenzie joined the postal service here in July 1906, and rose through the ranks to assistant postmaster in August, 1923.

"He retired on pension April 1, 1946.

"During World War One he served with the postal corps overseas, and later with the army of occupation.

"He is survived by his wife, one brother, William R. McKenzie in Victoria, B.C., and three sisters, Mrs. Ann Wyneken, Miss Ada McKenzie, Evanston, Ill., and Mrs. Dollene Rummell, Oxnard, California.

"Funeral services will be held on Wednesday at 4 p.m. at Howard and McBride's chapel. Rev. Canon W. M. Nainby will officiate and interment will be in the Edmonton cemetery."

[Edited to fix a typo.]