Author Topic: Windows 11  (Read 649 times)

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 11
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 24 August 23 09:33 BST (UK) »
Used both for a time. A PC at work and a Mac at home. The last PC I had at home was running DOS-5 and I wouldn’t let another one through the door.

The Mac OS is relatively simple and I wouldn’t let that put you off buying one. It’s a much bigger jump between a PC and an iPad. There’s a wealth of info. and advice on the Apple website and if you buy a new one from Apple you can even sign up for free starter lessons.

Online F1fan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 August 23 10:20 BST (UK) »
Sounds like some of your system files may be corrupted.

Try running the System File Checker

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/using-system-file-checker-in-windows-365e0031-36b1-6031-f804-8fd86e0ef4ca

Adding to the link ShaunJ provided, here are some further tips on what may help :-

https://windowsreport.com/windows-11-copy-paste-not-working/

With the downloads not working properly, have you tried clearing all the history and cache in the browser you use as that sometimes helps ?

Failing that, it is not what you probably want to hear, but with the big upgrade from 10 to 11 sometimes it is best to back everything up and then reset Windows to a ' Clean ' install. The link below is a youtube video that gives a good explination on how to do this without losing personal files, such as documents and pictures ( but always best to backup ) and you would just have to re-install your preferred browser - if it is not Edge - any programs i.e Genealogy software and printers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knpJmrTwgS8
Sawyer, Rutty - Wiltshire
Double - Suffolk
Templeman - Nottinghamshire
Senior, Blakeb(o)rough - Yorkshire

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 31 August 23 13:34 BST (UK) »
The 'copy and paste' option doesn't work on Win 11

They are still there, but Micro$oft have decided that the ordinary English words  "Cut", "Copy" and "Paste" are too technical, so have been replaced with meaningless pictures.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 September 23 23:13 BST (UK) »
Select what you want.

Ctrl+C to copy

Ctrl+V to paste works fine in Windows 11

That said if you happen to have any model of iPhone then buying a Mac will be simplicity itself.

The operating systems are so similar you should be able to swap between the two with no bother.

The same if you use an iPad, using an iMac or a Macbook is just the same.

Downside is cost.

That said our 11 year old iMac works great, starts up in seconds and does everything we need of it.

Whereas my 12 year old PC, took five minutes to boot up, ran slow, upgraded itself to Windows 11 despite me having auto updates turned off and then it proceeded to run even slower still.

I only built another PC to be able to run a Flight Simulator programme.

The 15 year old Windows 8 Laptop will be replaced by a Macbook when funds allow.