Author Topic: Millbrook Churchyard - Rame Peninsula History Group  (Read 418 times)

Offline HenryB1234

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Millbrook Churchyard - Rame Peninsula History Group
« on: Monday 21 August 23 17:41 BST (UK) »
Just discovered this very interesting and useful association - Rame Peninsula History Group.
Through their Millbrook Churchyard Survey 2020, I have found some long lost relatives.

Whilst the graveplots are quite complete, the associated photos are a little behind.

Referring to grave plot 1A, I am interested in burial location 33. Surname: Gentry  Forenames: Phyllis and Bernard. DOD 1991 Phyllis and 2000 Bernard. Location P1A 33 on their survey of 2020.
Do photographs exist for this grave?

Who holds the register for these graves? I don't think they are online as I cannot find them.
At the moment I am going between Cornwall Council and Millbrook Parish Council. Obviously not spoken to the right person yet.
There seem to be 2 churchyards, a new and old. I believe the one I refer to has a new Chapel of Ease? Confusing if you don't live in the area.

Offline Tin man

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Millbrook Churchyard - Rame Peninsula History Group
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 17:32 BST (UK) »
Having looked at this group's website, it appears that although your relatives are on the plot record, the grave photos for plot 1A are not covered. I don't know who keeps the graves register but they have a contact e-mail address for queries, maybe they can help you:
info@ramehistorygroup.org.uk
Cornwall: Bailey, Bilkey, Collins, Goldsworthy, Holman, Ivey, Martin, Michell, White.
Lancashire: Clough, Hargreaves,Hilton.

Offline HenryB1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 18:55 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your assistance.
I have emailed the Rame History Group and wait for a reply.
I have also been going round in circles between Millbrook Parish Council, Cornwall Council and All Saints Church Millbrook. All saying they don't have the burial records.
But have now contacted a very helpful lady at Millbrook Parish Council, who will try and get to the bottom of where the burial records are.
 :D

Offline Tin man

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 20:31 BST (UK) »
I've had a similar problem looking for graves in Saint Erth churchyard, there was no burial records, and after 2 hours of trudging round in the drizzle i gave up!   :(
Cornwall: Bailey, Bilkey, Collins, Goldsworthy, Holman, Ivey, Martin, Michell, White.

Offline HenryB1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 21:06 BST (UK) »
I don't know the area, but suggest you keep on trying.

I have been searching for my family history for years. And given up in frustration several times.
But out of the blue pieces of information have turned up, to put another piece to the puzzle.
Its quite amazing how something seemingly unrelated turns up which throws a light on the subject.

All I had to go on was Millbrook Churchyard. After countless unsuccessful hours/days searching in Essex, where I life, I clicked on a link to the Rame Peninsula History Group, and very shortly found the information I was looking for. Quite unbelievable.

Why did my relative get buried in Cornwall, when the family is in Essex. I believe the graveyard has links to his mothers family. 

Offline HenryB1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 August 23 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Tin man

I discovered www.st-erth.co.uk
You probably know that website.
It has some useful links. And church graveyard plots. Which they hope people will respect and not  reproduce.

A search on the link 'Search Parish Clerks for the whole of Cornwall' failed to come up with any results for me however. Strange because I know they are there. Perhaps data not been added.

Offline HenryB1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 August 23 14:16 BST (UK) »
A churchwarden has indeed confirmed that a register of burials for the Chapel of Ease site at Dodbrook, Millbrook is kept at All Saints Church, Millbrook. The register is from January 1969 to August 2022.
The 2 names I am looking for are on a separate typed list kept with the register.  :D

Offline Tin man

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 August 23 19:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Henry
Thanks for the link to St Erth parish, i checked the graveyard plots but my relative wasn't listed, i presume she's either in an unmarked grave or buried elsewhere. I will contact the parish clerk for some help.
Talking of parish clerks, have you seen this website?
https://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/home/

Offline HenryB1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 25 August 23 07:10 BST (UK) »
 Hello Tin man,

I believe I discovered that website as a link on www.st-erth.co.uk.
A search on the link 'Search Parish Clerks for the whole of Cornwall' failed to come up with any results for me however. And no information under Millbrook PC. Strange because I know they are there. Perhaps data not been added.

It can be very frustrating at times.
I went back to the will of the relative to see what their wishes were regarding burial/cremation.
Its like a jigsaw puzzle. Leave no stone unturned.  :)

At times there seems to be no co-ordinated approach to recording burial plots, and several different bodies, ie church and research groups, have bits of information but you have to act as a co-ordinator to bring it together.