Author Topic: Digital downloads from LRFHS - a moan  (Read 550 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Digital downloads from LRFHS - a moan
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 August 23 19:50 BST (UK) »
I have no solutions for you (sorry!), but thanks for the warning - looks like I'll be sticking to their good old-fashioned CDs for the foreseeable.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Online ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 August 23 20:21 BST (UK) »
RAR files look to be archives, like zip mentioned. Maybe only needed for transit.
If the files open as, say, Excel, see if from Excel you can "Save As" to your PC. This may or may not still have the password issue.
Another thing to try (if the above retains the password), would be trying to cut and paste  to an unprotected excel.

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 12:34 BST (UK) »
RAR files look to be archives, like zip mentioned. Maybe only needed for transit.
If the files open as, say, Excel, see if from Excel you can "Save As" to your PC. This may or may not still have the password issue.
Another thing to try (if the above retains the password), would be trying to cut and paste  to an unprotected excel.

That's what I tried but the password blocked my attempted download of the individual files.  So I eventually c&p'd all the info into new Excel files. Took ages, I went cross eyed with boredom!

Jomot, I wish I'd paid the p&p and gone for the old fashioned cd too! Or at least a memory stick. I can't imagine how a not-very-it-literate person would have coped with this.

I've used the LRFHS website to complain but had no response.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)