Author Topic: Joseph Marie Le Gallic  (Read 168 times)

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Marie Le Gallic
« on: Tuesday 22 August 23 06:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone
  I am starting this as a new topic as I have been kindly sent some information that I would like to hopefully follow up on.

I am now trying to find out if there may be any records for Josephs time as a crew member/mariner from 1869-1874.

According to his military file

https://sallevirtuelle.cotesdarmor.fr/RM/rmx/rg_rm/01R857/RM/FRAD022_01R857_GP_RM_1872_0105.jpg

Not sure if the above link will work SO in a nutshell.  Joseph Marie Le GALLIC

Volunteer for 7 years in Brest fleet  19th Feb 1869

Military number 23887

Deserted 13th January 1874 in Port Chalmers New Zealand

1meter 67 ( cm)
22 years old when he deserted in 1874 and 24 when he married in 1876 in South Australia
Marin des équipages=crew sailor

1.2.3 (not 9 23) = level of education  ( 0 means cannot read or write ,1 means can read, 2 can read and write 3 a more developed level of education).

Parents listed as PIERRE and Marie Jeanne Le GUILLOUX (same as birth certificate found)

I have sent an email on the 16th this month to archives@cotesdarmour.fr  No response as yet

I need to find MORE details on his military record from SOMEWHERE!  1869-1874.  NOW he must have been paid!  Must have been on various rosters! On the log of the ships Captain/Surgeons journal

This was a period of some 5 years so there has to be more to the story!  SURELY. 

So my question is who do I ask in France.  Where would more on these military records be found.

Was it a merchant ship/war ship etc.  I don't even see the name of any ship from the military record that he joined in Brest in 1869.  Any advice very much appreciated.  Regards Dianna