Author Topic: Changed regiment  (Read 899 times)

Offline SapereAude

• RootsChat Extra
  • Tommy and Fanny Hammond and son Fred (my ggf)
    • View Profile
Re: Changed regiment
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 12:20 BST (UK) »
Given that the badges which aren't directly linked to KSLI have a Royal Armoured Corps or cavalry feel about them, can I offer two alternatives to Jim's suggestions:
The horse could also be the Northamptonshire Yeomanry (The South Notts Hussars)
which then links to Jim's first suggestion about the acorn (signifying the regiment's connection with Nottingham Forest) having similiarities to the South Notts Hussars badge.

I have asked his g/dau for a clearer picture from the front of the horse, might help,
Thank you for your research
Davenport, Fear, Heywood, Lees, Bramwood, Fullalove (Lancashire) ; Dawson, Carr, Park, Mattinson, Peel, Threlkeld (Cumberland) ; Hammond, Peacock, Pedley, Alderson (Yorkshire) ; Notman, Irving, Bell (Dumfriesshire, Scotland) ; Curley/Corless, Roche (Ireland, Galway?)

Please contact me if you know anything about the Fear family of Manchester and Oldham's fish and poultry business  :)

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi SapereAude,
I think Jim and I are now agreed about the acorn. It's not a great match for the South Notts Hussars, but the badge in the collection may be an unofficial lapel badge so a bit of artistic licence has been used. Either way, I can't see any connection with Thomas Hammond senior. Maybe his son was in the Royal Armoured Corps in WW2. It was not unknown for soldiers to collect badges of other units, especially those they served alongside in battle.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 12:35 BST (UK) »
Knowing which Regts. they served with would help.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline SapereAude

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 12:54 BST (UK) »
Knowing which Regts. they served with would help.

How would I go about finding which regiment a soldier served with as I don't have their numbers for WW2?

Not sure if this was clear, but Thomas served in both World Wars, and his son, Frederick, was in WW2 (but not sure what his role was, family lore says he was a cook in the Army, but will check with his daughter)

It was not unknown for soldiers to collect badges of other units, especially those they served alongside in battle.
I was thinking that they might not all be from family as it seems like an awful lot of different regiments etc, especially if Thomas' son wasn't a soldier per se
Davenport, Fear, Heywood, Lees, Bramwood, Fullalove (Lancashire) ; Dawson, Carr, Park, Mattinson, Peel, Threlkeld (Cumberland) ; Hammond, Peacock, Pedley, Alderson (Yorkshire) ; Notman, Irving, Bell (Dumfriesshire, Scotland) ; Curley/Corless, Roche (Ireland, Galway?)

Please contact me if you know anything about the Fear family of Manchester and Oldham's fish and poultry business  :)

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 14:43 BST (UK) »
Most British military service records from the Second World War onwards are held by the Ministry of Defence (MOD) in Glasgow. In February 2021, the MOD began transferring 9.7 million military records for individuals with a discharge date before 31 December 1963 to The National Archives (TNA), so records for some branches of the Army are now accessible there. A notable exception is the Scots Guards whose records are held by their own archive.
Second World War Army records still held at the MOD are indexed by service number, rank, full name and date of birth – you’ll need to provide as much of this information as possible, together with your relative’s regiment or corps if it is known, to help locate service records.
If you don't know a soldier's number, known as a Personal Number for officers and an Army Number for other ranks then if possible also include details of a soldier's next of kin as well as their date of birth, especially for soldiers with a common name.

If your soldier's records have already been transferred to TNA, you will be told that by the MOD and you will not be charged the £30 fee.

It could also take up to a year.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline SapereAude

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 18:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you I'll have a look into it  :)