Author Topic: Eldon Royd, Bradford?  (Read 309 times)

Offline steadyrollingman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Eldon Royd, Bradford?
« on: Tuesday 22 August 23 15:00 BST (UK) »
On my 2x great aunt's 1904 marriage cert, church of St Peter, it gives her residence as Eldon Royd, Bradford. But I can't find Eldon Royd on any of the street indexes on Genuki etc, via an address search on the census records, or even just a general google search. There's hits for Eldon Terrace and Eldon Place, so was/is Eldon Royd an area rather than a street name? I can't quite face scrolling through the entire 25-inch Bradford map series until I know it's not a wild goose chase.

She was a lady's maid at the time, and she'd only moved down from Hartlepool a year or two earlier, so I was hoping that finding out who her employer was could possibly give some leads as - as far as I'm aware - we had absolutely no connections to W Yorks at that point.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Eldon Royd, Bradford?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 August 23 15:26 BST (UK) »
I suspect it was a house name.  There are adverts in the early 1900's for a Cook at Eldon Royd, Bradford - apply Mrs Campbell
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 August 23 15:40 BST (UK) »
H.J. Campbell was M.D. and living at that address in 1899 according to a birth announcement.  Another newspaper article suggests it is 36 Manningham Lane.  In 1901 Henry J Campbell a Consulting Physician is living at 36 Manningham Lane.

RG13/4155 f19 p29

His full name was Henry Johnstone Campbell

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 August 23 15:48 BST (UK) »
Yorkshire Post and Leeds Inteligencer 19th July 1919 confirms that Eldon Royd was 36 Manningham Lane.  Dr Campbell was selling off some of his furniture

Offline steadyrollingman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 August 23 16:17 BST (UK) »
Ah great, thanks Rosie, very helpful in a not at all useful sort of way unfortunately. It's not even worth me finding out Mrs Campbell's maiden name as she was born in London, since we have no connections there either. And Dr C sounds distinctly Scottish despite being a Londoner, and we have no connections there either (well, not until as far back as Malcolm III anyway).

Looking at the rest of the staff in 1901 they seem to have come from right across England so it seems the Campbells just cast their servant net widely, not relying on family connections.

Thanks again

ETA: The maps show that it is right opposite Eldon Terr and Eldon Place on the other side of Manningham Lane

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 August 23 17:09 BST (UK) »
I hope your gt aunt was well looked after by the Campbells  :)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 August 23 00:01 BST (UK) »
Look at this 1909 map

https://maps.nls.uk/view/100946975

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17.5&lat=53.79888&lon=-1.76133&layers=6&right=ESRIWorld

In above link - Click on the (close box ) X of the (called side by side - help) white box on your left to lighten the webpage

Zoom in and find the end of Manningham lane Bradford -a few roads to your right you'll find Midland rail station, to your left you'll find Westgate running parallel with Manninging lane and the OLD ( now gone) Infirmary.

To the Right of the Infirmary (at 3 O clock) you'll find Hallfield road and the roads above that (at 12 O clock on the map ) you'll find Eldon Place and Eldon terrace - this was medical staff accomodation complex area may have been called  Eldon Royd

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 August 23 01:25 BST (UK) »
On my 2x great aunt's 1904 marriage cert, church of St Peter, it gives her residence as Eldon Royd, Bradford. But I can't find Eldon Royd on any of the street indexes on Genuki etc, via an address search on the census records, or even just a general google search. There's hits for Eldon Terrace and Eldon Place, so was/is Eldon Royd an area rather than a street name? I can't quite face scrolling through the entire 25-inch Bradford map series until I know it's not a wild goose chase.

She was a lady's maid at the time, and she'd only moved down from Hartlepool a year or two earlier, so I was hoping that finding out who her employer was could possibly give some leads as - as far as I'm aware - we had absolutely no connections to W Yorks at that point.

There could be 2 Eldon Royd's Bradford

Eldon Royd, 16, Clayton Lane, Bradford, West Yorkshire, BD14 6AX

https://www.192.com/address/details/bradford/bd14+6ax/eldon+royd+16/
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 September 23 12:29 BST (UK) »

There could be 2 Eldon Royd's Bradford

Eldon Royd, 16, Clayton Lane, Bradford, West Yorkshire, BD14 6AX

https://www.192.com/address/details/bradford/bd14+6ax/eldon+royd+16/

No one in residence there for the 1901 census. RG13/4168 f136 page 20. Just listed as 16 Clayton Lane.  I can't see it listed on the next census