Author Topic: identification of WW1 and WW2 badges  (Read 532 times)

Offline SapereAude

• RootsChat Extra
  • Tommy and Fanny Hammond and son Fred (my ggf)
    • View Profile
Re: identification of WW1 and WW2 badges
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 24 August 23 11:25 BST (UK) »
And I have a clearer photo of the horse badge, if it might help, not sure if anyone has definitely identified it yet.
Davenport, Fear, Heywood, Lees, Bramwood, Fullalove (Lancashire) ; Dawson, Carr, Park, Mattinson, Peel, Threlkeld (Cumberland) ; Hammond, Peacock, Pedley, Alderson (Yorkshire) ; Notman, Irving, Bell (Dumfriesshire, Scotland) ; Curley/Corless, Roche (Ireland, Galway?)

Please contact me if you know anything about the Fear family of Manchester and Oldham's fish and poultry business  :)

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 August 23 19:20 BST (UK) »
Little doubt that that is the badge of the West Yorkshire Regiment as originally suggested by Jim, minus its tail and scroll underneath

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 August 23 19:41 BST (UK) »
According to one source "When collar badges were adopted in June of 1873, the 14th Foot [later the West Yorkshire Regiment] was unique in that it was the only regiment to have a separate collar badge for each of its battalions. The 1st Battalion had a white horse on hind legs on a down curved bar in white metal and the 2nd Battalion had a Royal Bengal Tiger in brass."
It apparently represents the White Horse of Hanover, which also appears on the capbadge of the 5th Battalion the King's (Liverpool) Regimnet.

Offline SapereAude

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 August 23 20:18 BST (UK) »
Oh right how interesting!
Thank you again to everyone who has helped identify these badges
Davenport, Fear, Heywood, Lees, Bramwood, Fullalove (Lancashire) ; Dawson, Carr, Park, Mattinson, Peel, Threlkeld (Cumberland) ; Hammond, Peacock, Pedley, Alderson (Yorkshire) ; Notman, Irving, Bell (Dumfriesshire, Scotland) ; Curley/Corless, Roche (Ireland, Galway?)

Please contact me if you know anything about the Fear family of Manchester and Oldham's fish and poultry business  :)

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 25 August 23 19:20 BST (UK) »
The acorn is a collar badge for the Cheshire rgeiment

Offline SapereAude

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 26 August 23 11:06 BST (UK) »
The acorn is a collar badge for the Cheshire rgeiment
I have had a look on Google, looks pretty much identical, that must be it, thanks