Author Topic: Looking for Christina Munro 1886 Carmichael, Lanarkshire  (Read 307 times)

Offline Audrey63

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Christina Munro 1886 Carmichael, Lanarkshire
« on: Wednesday 23 August 23 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
I wonder if anybody has any thoughts on this one:
Christina Munro gave birth to an illegitimate daughter named Mary Munro 25 July 1886 Lochilyock, Carmichael, Covington, Lanarkshire.  No father name listed and I cannot find any information that she tried to take the father to court.  Christina is listed as a farm servant at the time of Mary's birth but that's really all I know.  No age, no background.  Also the birth was never registered until the 1st October 1886 which is a long time after the birth as were usually given 21 days to do this.  Possible reasons for this??  Is Christina from this part of Scotland or did she go there to give birth?

Mary, listed as a domestic servant,  marries in 21 June 1907 in Kingsknowes, Colinton, Edinburgh  to David Ortchison (Orchison) a mason of Alyth.  Note Mary now is listed with the name of Mary Wilson Munro a spinster.  Her mother Christina is still listed on Mary's marriage certificate with surname of Munro and occupation a domestic servant so presumably alive at this point.  When Mary dies in 1963 her mother Christina is listed as deceased and Mary is just listed with surnames Orchison/Munro (no mention of Wilson). 

I cannot find Christina and Mary together on 1891 census which is what I was hoping for.  I have been thinking along the lines that the name Wilson may either have been the surname of her real father or maybe a stepfather.  Anyone have any ideas where I try from here?  It would be a lot easier if the names were not so common in Scotland!

Thanks for any advice.

Drummond, Ferguson, Hepburn, Carstairs, Ford, Edmonstone, Eadie, Owler or Wooler, Deuchars, McIsaac, Anderson, Panton, Smeaton or Smitton

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Christina Munro 1886 Carmichael, Lanarkshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 17:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Audrey

Just guesswork really.

Like you, haven't seen a ref so far to entries for either of them in 1891.

For 1901, there are these two entries in Biggar which caught my eye:

Christina Munro, 41 (born c.  1860), general servant b. Stornoway, Rossshire. She is working at the Boyd household at Boghall, Biggar.

Also in Biggar for 1901 is this entry. Mary Munro, 14 b. Carmichael, Lanarkshire. She too is working as a domestic servant at the Lawrie household at Brownsbank, Biggar.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 18:59 BST (UK) »
On the Valuation Rolls for 1885 on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, there is the following entry:

John Munro
House - Locklyock
CARMICHAEL
VR010700110-

With Mary born in Locklyock the following year, in 1886, I wonder if John and Christina connect as family?

There is this entry in 1881:

John Munro 45 Head farm servant b. Stornoway
Henrietta Munro 50 wife b. Stornoway
Alexander Montgomery 28 Brother-in-law b. Stornoway

Wondering whether this is the John Munro who shows in Locklyock on the 1885 VRs?

Monica

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 19:44 BST (UK) »
Following on from Monica's census finds there is a death in Biggar in 1910  which might be worth following up.

Munro Christina 51 mmn Montgomery 1910 Ref 623/9 Biggar

There is also this birth in Stornoway in 1859:

Munro Christina mmn Montgomery 1859 Ref 088/87 Stornoway.

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 19:47 BST (UK) »
That is great, William  ;)

I have just added the 1881 census to my last post.

This would all fit we hope  :)

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 19:49 BST (UK) »
Had been just been looking at that death in 1910.

Parents as we have in that 1881 census entry in Carnwath. Christina showing as single and a domestic servant. A daughter, Henrietta Munro, reported her death.

This looks to be her entry on the 1905 VRs:

CHRISTINA MUNRO
Tenant/Occupier
HOUSE NO 8 BURNSIDE TERRACE
BIGGAR
VR010700222

Monica

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 20:23 BST (UK) »
1871 has this family in Stornoway

Henrietta Munro M 40 Crofter
Christina Munro D 12
Malcolm Munro S 10
Ann Munro D 7

Looking at Orchison births in Alyth with mmn Munro I note births for Malcolm in 1915 and Henrietta in 1913. Coincidence?

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 20:31 BST (UK) »
Likely not  ::)

Note that there is no girl named Christina in the list of names for Mary and David Orchison's children.

I have not been able to find a likely Henrietta Munro (showing as daughter to Christina on her death reg) in the 1891 and 1901 censuses so far. They do like to hide!

Monica

Offline Audrey63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 August 23 14:54 BST (UK) »
MonicaL and MillMoor,

Thank so much for your input as this has opened up another line to explore.  I had found Mary in 1901 census but had not looked for Christina in the same area of Biggar.  John & Henrietta Munro in 1881 census and 1885 Valuation Rolls must definitely be linked. 
With regards to the naming pattern just having had a quick look there were 3 Christina Munro's born in Stornoway 1859 (but I'm sure there will be a lot more on the years either side).  Of those 3 one possibly died as infant (need to check further), one was born to John & Henrietta and the other to Alexander and Mary.  Possibly John & Alexander were maybe brothers so John may be Christina's father or uncle which may be the reasoning of daughter being named Mary.  (Mary had a son that she named Alexander too so.....
Anyway thank you for your help in this.  I will carry on searching and if I get my answers I'll post again to let you know.

Regards,
Audrey
Drummond, Ferguson, Hepburn, Carstairs, Ford, Edmonstone, Eadie, Owler or Wooler, Deuchars, McIsaac, Anderson, Panton, Smeaton or Smitton