Author Topic: Frank Arthur Keen and Wife Ada May(nee Culverhouse) death same day, same address  (Read 260 times)

Offline AlgarvePete

• RootsChat Senior
  • Grandad Harry and 3 of my uncles.
    • View Profile
Hi All, looking for any further information on the deaths of Frank Arthur Keen and Wife Ada May(nee Culverhouse) 2 Sep 1957 of 2 Sunnyfield Road, Barton on sea, Hants. They both left wills with that address.
I know that I could send for copies of death certs but if anyone has newspaper articles or local news it would be very helpful. The couple had no dependants. Thanks, Pete
Mainly researching the Lees from Herts but also compiling a one name study of Culverhouse

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Frank Arthur Keen and Wife Ada May(nee Culverhouse) death same day, same address
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 19:52 BST (UK) »
New Milton Advertiser, 7 Sep 1957
Only have free ocr text, which is terrible, and seems to mix lines up?
Goes something like
AN elderly couple, whom neighbours knew as eccentric, met their deaths in the gas filled kitchen of their Barton home in circumstances unknown, the County Coroner, Mr. D. H. B. Harfield, decided on Thursday.
They were Frank Arthur Percy Keen, aged 79, and his 77-years old wife Ada May, of 2 Sunnyfield Road, Barton....

Someone with full access is needed!

Offline AlgarvePete

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Frank Arthur Keen and Wife Ada May(nee Culverhouse) death same day, same address
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 21:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much, I will keep an open mind but all thoughts jump to something else. r.i.p.
Mainly researching the Lees from Herts but also compiling a one name study of Culverhouse

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hi there
It's a very sad story.
There seems to be quite a bit more in the report, but the text is very badly scrambled. Hopefully you will get hold of the original soon to have the full background.
Jon

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 21:17 BST (UK) »
It is a long article.

It seems Mrs Keen was going dotty. Every day for a week she thought the house was on fire. When it was not.
They are described as an eccentric Barton couple.
There were no efforts to seal the room. It reads as if it really was accidental.

Added..the following year there is a notice asking if anyone knows where the deeds to their bungalow are.

Offline Ann E

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 21:36 BST (UK) »
A little more, it is a bit mixed up.

A N elderly couple whom neighbours knew as eccentric,- 11 one said of the wile She had gone weak mentally. aged 79. of 2. Sunnyfieldlhe was satisfied that the couple Road. Barton, and his 77-years- were dead. There was a very old wife. Ada May, who were • strong smell of gas escaping from found on Monday by a neighbour. I the oven, the door of which was In reaching ...his verdict, Mr.. partially open. Gas was supplied Barfield said the evidence was from a quarterly meter. Mr. such ...at it excluded anything ' Keen was lying on the floor and whatsoever relating to suicide. Mrs. Keen was slumped forward .But in deciding that their deaths in a chair. A door leading to a occurred in circumstances un- pa_ age was a.hr and .
Published: Saturday 07 September 1957 Newspaper: New Milton Advertiser
Lacey, IOW, Lacey, Shearstone  SOM, Higgins, Tagg, Sammons, Jackson, Reeves Cowley, Wale OXFORD. Robert Collinson

Offline AlgarvePete

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 August 23 06:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks all, as my Culverhouse tree is available to everyone on Ancestry I have left the verdict open and entered the following remark to their deaths. Sad

2 Sep 1957 • Barton on sea, Hampshire, England Lymington 6b 295
New Milton Advertiser, 7 Sep 1957. An elderly couple, whom neighbours knew as eccentric, met their deaths in the gas filled kitchen of their Barton home in circumstances unknown, the County Coroner, Mr. D. H. B. Harfield, decided on Thursday.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 August 23 07:32 BST (UK) »
If you haven’t yet used up your three free goes by registering at British Newspaper archive, I recommend you get the article. I don’t think your summary quite conveys the tenor of the article.