Author Topic: Green Photograph?  (Read 1422 times)

Offline toby_ax

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Green Photograph?
« on: Thursday 24 August 23 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hi All

A bit of a random one. Im hoping I've posted this in an appropriate forum category as I know there is a photograph forum but I am not looking for this photo dated, just a question in general.
Post has since been moved to photograph forum. Thank you!

I have a photograph of my Nana when she was young, probably circa 1950 and it has been on my mums wall for as long as I can remember.

It's a very nice photograph, but it is green, like very green - colour wise.

I am collecting all these photographs to put onto the wall. I can't find anything online to say that there was a time where photographs were taken in this green hue. I'm wondering if originally it would have been taken in green, or if it was originally sepia/b+w that has aged poorly through light etc Im not sure. I assume my nana had this before my mum so I don't know the condition she kept it in. Anyhow, I am reverting all photographs I have back into their original condition, getting rid of scratches, tears etc, some with help from the photograph forum, and so If this was originally green, I shall keep it, and if not I will revert it to black and white.

Does anyone have any ideas?
I have tried searching, but the only things I have found are b+w photographs going green.

Anyone also have a green photograph  ;D or know anything about wether this would be original?

Thank you!  ;D
Mills - North Bierley / Hull / Burin Bay, Canada
Morrell - North Bierley
Gravestock - North Bierley / Bedfordshire
Wade - North Bierley
Failes - North Bierley / Norfolk

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
Re: Green Photograph?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 August 23 15:48 BST (UK) »
Photography film companies might be able to help. I know many Agfa films from the 70s tended towards yellow in the photos once they were printed.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 August 23 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Toby

It might be best to get this moved to the photo board as those of us who hang out there and have a great interest in all things photographic are most likely to be able to help.

I studied photography in a degree course and have done lots of experimental work but haven't come across any pics turning green. It could be that it was treated with a particular toner but it might be best if you could scan it and put it up for us to examine.

To get your post /thread transferred to the Photo Board, either PM Sarah or do a 'Report to Mod' by clicking on the bottom right box and asked for it to be moved.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline toby_ax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 August 23 17:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you Gadget I have requested the post be moved. Thank you.

Here is the photograph.

As you can see, it is very green.
I just find it odd, as this is the only photo I have of her as a child, and it is the only green photograph I have come across.

Morrell - North Bierley
Wade - North Bierley

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 August 23 17:57 BST (UK) »
Just a guess and hope others might have other ideas.

I'm wondering if it was originally toned with a selenium tint.  This gives a slight warm purplish tint and might fade to this  yellow/green colour.  I've used this many times in the past (1980s-90s) but none have gone this colour

Here is a small version using a selenium app.

Gadget

P S- gorgeous little girl  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline toby_ax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 August 23 19:33 BST (UK) »
Ah wow! thats a beautiful rendition of the photograph and although I do love the photograph I have always known, in green, this one is to me is much more endearing and more like the photographs I am used to seeing.

I can't help but feel that a green toned photograph wouldn't be the best choice for a photograph of your child.

Do you know if selenium photographs would have been expensive at the time?

Thank you Gadget.
Morrell - North Bierley
Wade - North Bierley

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 August 23 20:27 BST (UK) »
I, too, have a green photograph. It was taken between 1940 and 1945 in Egypt, and is in monochrome. It shows my aunt in army uniform. It has a border which is green as well. I wonder if it has something to do with the paper they used. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 August 23 20:28 BST (UK) »
It would have been a studio photo and I don't think they were cheap. I was (maybe) a couple of years older than your grandmother but mine were done by my Father's cousin who was a very good photographer.  I can't remember how much the toner was but it was an extra process and it wasn't very nice to use.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 August 23 21:35 BST (UK) »
Is there some problem with her right lower arm?  It looks as if it's been cut out and re-added   :-\