Author Topic: Green Photograph?  (Read 1425 times)

Offline toby_ax

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Green Photograph?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 24 August 23 23:26 BST (UK) »
I also wondered gloves when Gadget mentioned it.
And then saw the other hand and saw fingernails and thought maybe not gloves, and then wondered if she just had it on one hand oddly, but there are details on her fingers that make me think otherwise.

I never met her to be able to ask her about any injuries, although no family stories exist in regards to this. My mum knew her best - she was her best friend, and she was surprised when I showed her the arm as she had never noticed either and had no comment on injuries etc. My mum never even questioned the green. She passed quite early for today's standards unfortunately. All she ever wanted was a boy, and then after she died, I was born.  ;D

I've just found this discussion from 10 or so years ago

Interesting thank you Gadget, although, mine looks far more extreme than that example.  ???
It is very strange, green would not be my choice of colour for a photo of my child as I said, and as I am collating these photographs, green looks very out of place amongst the black and white and sepia photographs, but I like to keep things as intended, but with everyones input im leaning towards the fact this photo wasn't meant to be green  ;D ;D ;D
Mills - North Bierley / Hull / Burin Bay, Canada
Morrell - North Bierley
Gravestock - North Bierley / Bedfordshire
Wade - North Bierley
Failes - North Bierley / Norfolk

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 24 August 23 23:26 BST (UK) »
Perhaps it’s just the way her arm is bent, but her arm above her elbow doesn’t seem right, either.  The arm directly under the sleeve looks thinner than the area just above the elbow.  Perhaps the shadow from her sleeve is just hiding a bit of her actual arm colour?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 24 August 23 23:33 BST (UK) »
If she moved her arm very slightly just as the photograph was taken, could that have produced a slightly blurred effect (for the part just below her sleeve).
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline toby_ax

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 24 August 23 23:34 BST (UK) »
Oh wow Lisa, I completely overlooked that too! her arm completely disappears amongst the background, this photograph is offering more mysteries than I had thought it could. This is why I love this website, you ask one question and end up finding out so much more!

I'm not sure that's caused by her sleeve, the arm completely fades into the background.
My mum has confirmed that this is the original photograph.

If she moved her arm very slightly just as the photograph was taken, could that have produced a slightly blurred effect (for the part just below her sleeve).

Later Add on:
Possible, but still very strange.  ???

Mills - North Bierley / Hull / Burin Bay, Canada
Morrell - North Bierley
Gravestock - North Bierley / Bedfordshire
Wade - North Bierley
Failes - North Bierley / Norfolk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 24 August 23 23:37 BST (UK) »
Oh wow Lisa, I completely overlooked that too! her arm completely disappears amongst the background, this photograph is offering more mysteries than I had thought it could. This is why I love this website, you ask one question and end up finding out so much more!

I absolutely agree with you - others have offered wonderful suggestions, thoughts, etc. when I’ve also asked questions.  ;D

Added: it’s more noticeable in Gadget’s rendition.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 24 August 23 23:43 BST (UK) »
Back again   ;D

What does the back look like and is there a border?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 25 August 23 00:16 BST (UK) »
In that era it was a fashion for a little girl to be given a bracelet, often at Christening or Baptism.

It would be made of gold and was formed as a a linked chain except in one section which had a flat band or plate on which was engraved the child's name and sometimes birthdate.

It was quite loose and "floppy"  so as not be uncomfortable and they did move up and down the chubby little arm.

I wonder if that is what we see.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 25 August 23 00:23 BST (UK) »
Not sure, Sue

Here's a larger snip of the arm. The two parts of the arm don't appear to match up.

Gadget

(This is starting to feel a little like 'Blow Up'   -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowup)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 25 August 23 00:39 BST (UK) »
Yes, it looks like a bracelet. That was my thought before reading Sue's comment.

The green colour is interesting. I was recently looking at colour photos taken in 1955, and they all now have degraded to a pinkish-purple hue.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)