Author Topic: Green Photograph?  (Read 1420 times)

Offline jmagarac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Green Photograph?
« Reply #36 on: Friday 25 August 23 21:59 BST (UK) »
When I worked in a photo lab... we used to do multiple exposure to a single piece of photo paper. We would add things to a composition by blocking exposure in the that area with a mask (Kodalith with a dark spot - dark spot with a clear film field - to block the area from initial exposure, with fuzzy edges (fuzzy so NO distinct line would appear). Then, in the next and successive exposures we would have a piece of Kodaith with the exact reverse of the first. Pretty much BLACK with a fuzzy clear opening to allow the next exposure for what we wanted on that print, in that area. We used metal registration pins to keep things aligned.  It was a real art. Not all turned out right on the first few tries. Then a repeat of the print was a challenge as well.

Maybe the studio did something like that. It is amazing what real craftsmen could do back in the day before modern technology.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 25 August 23 22:50 BST (UK) »
It was fun  - especially doing really large ones - the enlarger as high as it would go and the paper stuck to the floor  :)

Add - just found one of my very old threads

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=164973.msg774334#msg774334
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline jmagarac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 26 August 23 01:01 BST (UK) »
It was fun  - especially doing really large ones - the enlarger as high as it would go and the paper stuck to the floor  :)

Add - just found one of my very old threads

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=164973.msg774334#msg774334

Wow Gadget. Just looked at your old thread. Very nice piece of artwork. And some real time invested in it. The world has changed a lot!

Offline toby_ax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 26 August 23 19:36 BST (UK) »
This photograph had a lot more to offer than I had thought! I think its safe to assume from your suggestions the fact this photograph wasn't intended to be green  ;D ;D :D

Thank you to both jmagarac and PatBot, for your wonderful colourisations. Our family really like and appreciate them thanks again.

I had never noticed her arm or looked at in more detail before, so it's great to know more about that and the history and processes this photograph likely went through. I too agree, that the hand looks older, she had a sister who was only 3 years older, so it was more likely her mums. Very interesting!

Maybe the studio did something like that. It is amazing what real craftsmen could do back in the day before modern technology.

It is a shame these ways of altering photographs is being lost.

Given what you say about the thickness of the paper, it might well be a sample/proof print and might not have been processed/washed as thoroughly as a final print. This might explain the colour cast.

All the photographs I have of this family from this era are printed on the same sort of paper - inbetweeny paper  ;D. Maybe the studio they used.

Despite what my mum says, as there are no marks on the back, i'm now leaning to the fact this may not be the original? It is definitely old, but may be an early copy of the original? I'm not sure but great to see everyones opinions, thanks all so much.

Very odd affair about her arm though, given you all spotted it so quickly, was it poorly done?
Our family never realised it and its been on the wall years, so they did a good enough job  ;D.
Mills - North Bierley / Hull / Burin Bay, Canada
Morrell - North Bierley
Gravestock - North Bierley / Bedfordshire
Wade - North Bierley
Failes - North Bierley / Norfolk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 30 August 23 15:05 BST (UK) »
A late version from me. I am from Hull and I see from your profile that you have connections to this area.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 30 August 23 16:06 BST (UK) »
...and with colour, beautiful photo.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline loord74

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 05 September 23 11:29 BST (UK) »
to add to your collection

Offline toby_ax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 05 September 23 15:00 BST (UK) »
Beautiful thank you so much loord74 and Carol!

Much improvement to the original green.

I am from Hull and I see from your profile that you have connections to this area.
Yes, this little girl is my nana, her dad and his family were all from Hull and Sculcoates. Her grandad owned a shop on Hessle road Hull.

Thanks again!
Mills - North Bierley / Hull / Burin Bay, Canada
Morrell - North Bierley
Gravestock - North Bierley / Bedfordshire
Wade - North Bierley
Failes - North Bierley / Norfolk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 05 September 23 15:17 BST (UK) »
I grew up on Hessle Road  :D
Carol