Author Topic: Marriage of George Bampton & Catherine Robertson (Newington, 1842)  (Read 215 times)

Offline Kate-Birchtree

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage of George Bampton & Catherine Robertson (Newington, 1842)
« on: Friday 25 August 23 01:47 BST (UK) »
I'm having some trouble tracing the parish marriage of George Bampton and Catherine (possibly Catharine) Robertson.

• According to Ancestry family tree lore, Catherine was born in Berkshire. Later life records (in Australia) show she was born in about 1819/1820.
  • There is an 1841 census record for a Catherine Robertson (aged about 20) in the household of Robert Robertson in Berkshire, which is plausible but not definitive.
  • George is confirmed as being born in Eton, Buckinghamshire.

The only plausible civil marriage registration record for a George Bampton and Catherine Robertson is for Newington, Surrey in 1842. This correlates with the couple's emigration to New Zealand later in the same year (though without the context of a parish record, it's trickier to be sure it's them).

I can't find any trace of a parish marriage record for this couple. I've searched Ancestry, Find My Past, FamilySearch and FreeReg, with no success. I also tried LMA, which I understand is the current custodian of Newington records.

I realise it's possible that they didn't marry in a church at all, but it still seems unusual enough that I want to delve a bit deeper.

I've had trouble locating other Surrey parish records in the past, so I'm unsure whether there are strange coverage gaps involved, or whether I'm just not looking at the right avenues to find them.

Can anybody help me figure this one out? Thank you!
Adair, Ager, Anderson, Angel, Ayles, Badenoch, Bampton, Bannister, Bedell/Beadle/Beadel, Beresford, Bird, Blaesing, Brown, Butterworth, Clements, Eaton, Elston, Finn, Frith, Green, Groom, Hales, Hance, Heudebourck, Hollis, Maple, Menzel, Nancarrow, Noble, Oakley, Peed, Porter, Prior, Roberts, Sands, Scarlet(t), Sharples, Smith, Stickles/Stickells, Stokes, Sur(r)idge, Thurston, Tiver, Tulloch, Wade, Weeden, Wood, Young

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of George Bampton & Catherine Robertson (Newington, 1842)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 August 23 05:49 BST (UK) »
If they married in the registry office, there will be no transcription.
Purchase of the certificate is the only way to find out. 

Offline Enumerated

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 18:15 BST (UK) »
They married in June quarter 1842, Newington, volume 4, page 359.

According to freebmd.org.uk, the page range for this district and quarter was 309 to 362. The GRO indexed the marriages in parish churches first, followed by marriages in nonconformist churches and the register office. Page 359 is at the end of the range, thus indicating this marriage did not take place in a parish church.

Offline Kate-Birchtree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 23:17 BST (UK) »
I had no idea about that structure/system with the GRO records. Really helpful to know!
Adair, Ager, Anderson, Angel, Ayles, Badenoch, Bampton, Bannister, Bedell/Beadle/Beadel, Beresford, Bird, Blaesing, Brown, Butterworth, Clements, Eaton, Elston, Finn, Frith, Green, Groom, Hales, Hance, Heudebourck, Hollis, Maple, Menzel, Nancarrow, Noble, Oakley, Peed, Porter, Prior, Roberts, Sands, Scarlet(t), Sharples, Smith, Stickles/Stickells, Stokes, Sur(r)idge, Thurston, Tiver, Tulloch, Wade, Weeden, Wood, Young

Offline Kate-Birchtree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 23:26 BST (UK) »
Update:
I finally caved in and ordered the GRO marriage certificate.

They were married at an Independent/Congregationist church, York Street Chapel (Browning Hall) in Walworth, St Mary Newington in Surrey.

Mystery solved  :)