Author Topic: McBain lookup in Whyte's vol. 1 of "A Dictionary of Scottish Emigrants to Canada  (Read 173 times)

Offline lcaproni

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Does anyone have access to and the time to do a look up in Donald Whyte's Volume 1 of "A Dictionary of Scottish Emigrants to Canada before Confederation?" I found the following indexed citation on Ancestry.com for my ancestor Donald McBain, allegedly on pg. 172:

Donald McBain
Arrival Year   1823-1847
Arrival Place   Ontario, Canada
Primary Immigrant   McBain, Donald
Source Publication Code   9758
Annotation:   Date and port of arrival. Name of ship, place of origin, place of destination, date of birth and death, parentage, occupation, and other historical and family data may also be provided.

Source Bibliography:

WHYTE, DONALD. A Dictionary of Scottish Emigrants to Canada before Confederation. Toronto: Ontario Genealogical Society. Volume 1, 1986. 443p.

Thank you in advance!

~Linnéa

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
Re: McBain lookup in Whyte's vol. 1 of "A Dictionary of Scottish Emigrants to Canada
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 02:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Here's what is written in Vol. 1 about Donald McBain:

"#4884  McBain, Donald.  b. ca 1823 PROB from INV(erness)  To Erin Twp Wellington Co. <1847; moved to Arthur Twp, Went later to Oak Hill, Victoria Co. Schoolteacher, storekeeper, miller and farmer. m. 4 September 1850 Catherine Turner 1832-1915, ch: 1. Duncan, 1852-1931; 2. Jessie, 1855-1941; 3. Sarah, 1859-1951; 4. James Turner, 1861-1945; 5. Donald Turner, b. 1863, d. Everett, WA. 6. Kathie Edna, 1865-1940; 7. Mary Ellen, 1867-1942;  8. John Arthur, b. 1869, d. Julian, CA; 9. Christina Isabella, 1872-1955.  DC* 27 MAR 1979."

*"Dictionary Correspondence.  Letters to the author regarding emigrants to Canada contained in 9 lever-arch files."

There are no other code numbers listed in the book, other than the reference to DC.  So, the Source Publication Code 9758 must be relevant only to the Ancestry index.

I hope this information is helpful to your research.

CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline lcaproni

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McBain lookup in Whyte's vol. 1 of "A Dictionary of Scottish Emigrants to Canada
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 16:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much -- very helpful!

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 18:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,

You are very welcome.  Glad the information is helpful.

Best of luck with your continued research.
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE