Author Topic: Auckland Heritage Festival - 23 September to 8 October  (Read 203 times)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Auckland Heritage Festival - 23 September to 8 October
« on: Saturday 26 August 23 03:58 BST (UK) »
Hello again.

It's getting around to the Auckland Heritage Festival time again. Starting next month, and into October.

www.heritagefestival.co.nz

I have just looked up what attractions, and activities, have been registered for this year's event, and have found some 130 listed.

As it appears a group I usually try to get up to support, has not registered an open day, I may be able to dig further into my 180 year old Auckland roots. Bookings appear to be essential for the likes of the Symond Street Cemetery activities, the Pah Homestead, and other "founding fathers" attractions. Even Whatipu Lodge, could be worth a visit. When we tried to visit in March, as we climbed out of little Huia, we discovered the road was closed to all, but residents and the services.  Could not even get up to Mt D McLean, to look back East, across the Manukau harbour, and towards South Auckland.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Re: Auckland Heritage Festival - 23 September to 8 October
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 September 23 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hi again.

Just received a newsletter from the Pukekohe East Church Preservation Society. In part it reads.....

2023 marks several significant milestones in the history of Pukekohe East:

• 160 years since the opening of Pukekohe East School on 27 January 1863, in the
slab hut first constructed to function as the church.

• 160 years since the building of the present church which opened that same year
on Easter weekend, Sunday 5 April 1863.

• 160 years since the engagement at the church between local settlers, militia and
Maori took place on 14 September 1863.

To mark these milestones the church will be open in the afternoon this coming Saturday,
16 September from 1.00 pm to 3.00 pm.

Come along for a short cemetery walk (if fine) and to learn some of the history relating to these events. Saturday, 16th is also the Pukekohe East School Pet Day from 9 am. You might like to make a day of it and combine both events – support the school and learn some history at the church!

Alan.

PS And see the rock and memorial plaque, honouring the Maori who's bodies the settlers, and Militia buried.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.