Author Topic: Sullivan Nicknames in Kilgarvan  (Read 247 times)

Offline chrisos

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sullivan Nicknames in Kilgarvan
« on: Saturday 26 August 23 08:03 BST (UK) »
Hi listers
Myself and another like minded soul are working on a DNA project focussing primarily on Kilgarvan, co Kerry and are using our shared DNA matches to identify possible familial pathways previously unknown to us.  I myself am primarily interested in Sullivan & Lynch.  The other researcher is interested in Donoghue & Kelliher but we have shared DNA matches featuring Healey, Shea, Hagerty, Harrington, Reardon & Casey families.  Quite a few of these families somehow have a Sullivan in the mix and we are finding that nicknames are making their way into our research.

At the moment we have identified the following Sullivan nicknames in Kilgarvan -
Blue(ew)(oo)man, Barruil (Barrell), McCann, Goula, Rodgers, Downs (Downing), Cumba & Sughrue (technically not a nickname).

Can anyone help with any other nick names which may be of interest.  I believe the Cumba nickname refers to descendants of the Irish Brigade who fought for France in the seventeenth century.  Sughrue on the other hand were not blood related to the O'Sullivans but slowly married into them.  They were viewed and treated as a servile class by the Gaelic nobility.

I would be particularly interested if anyone could throw some light on the Blue(ew)(oo)man nickname.  Family were primarily situated in Rosseighteragh.  Best suggestions so far are descendants of a heavily tattooed man or alternatively of a man who was a supervisor in an iron mine.

Many thanks
Chris

Offline Lynn Z

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sullivan Nicknames in Kilgarvan
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 January 24 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,
I have been working on a family tree for a 3rd cousin and he has a number of DNA matches who descended from the O'Sullivan-Blueman family of Morley's Bridge, Rosseighteragh. Perhaps you are one of them! This cousin lives in Dromoughty, Tuosist outside of Kenmare. In trying to find the connection to the O'Sullivan-Blueman family, I've been in touch with someone very familiar with Tuosist genealogy. He was unaware that the O'Sullivan family in question was a "Blueman" and did not know the origin of the Blueman nickname. He knew of the family as the Dan Patsy's. Dan Patsy O'Sullivan was a hero in the War of Independence.
Lynn