Author Topic: Trying to find the Parentage of Martha Sapphire Bloomfield  (Read 158 times)

Offline rutht22000

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to find the Parentage of Martha Sapphire Bloomfield
« on: Saturday 26 August 23 15:44 BST (UK) »
Martha was married to my great-grandmother's half brother, Arthur Shepherd in Sydney in 1881. I've not the marriage certificate but I may have to bite the bullet if anyone can't find her parents.

I have found everything I can about Arthur and his and Martha's children so am not looking for anything about their kids, but its Martha I am interested in.

She died on Christmas Day 1943.  She was born around 1862. I have a note that she was born in Molong, NSW but I can't find my source  ::).

There is a tree on Ancestry that has her as Martha Sophia, born 1851 in Hobart and as daughter of William Bloomfield and Martha Saffron (a convict).  I guess Sophia/Saffron/Sapphire could get mangled up and I  would be willing to think this was a possble if the DOB was not 10/11 years different.  (Anything is possible though!)

Thank you  :)
Jeacock
Colebourne
Shepherd
Scotter
Sievers
Knowles
Pritchard
Lilley
Hart/Hertz
Woodmansey
Monnington
Thomas (South Wales)
John (South Wales)
Pearce (South Wales)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find the Parentage of Martha Sapphire Bloomfield
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 August 23 15:53 BST (UK) »
Found this on FS - possible sibling??

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q27M-41GN
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 August 23 15:59 BST (UK) »
There is a tree on Ancestry that has her as Martha Sophia, born 1851 in Hobart and as daughter of William

There's a Margaret Sophia born 15 Oct 1851 to William & Martha Saffron so could be the same family with info muddled up

William & Martha married in 1840 Hobart
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline rutht22000

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 August 23 16:54 BST (UK) »
There is a tree on Ancestry that has her as Martha Sophia, born 1851 in Hobart and as daughter of William

There's a Margaret Sophia born 15 Oct 1851 to William & Martha Saffron so could be the same family with info muddled up

William & Martha married in 1840 Hobart

I did see that one...but admittedly didn't investigate because she was definitely Martha.  I think you are right though and Margaret Sophia is Martha Sophia in error who has also been incorrectly 'married' on that tree to Arthur Shepherd. 

I was never confident about the match of Martha to William and Martha Saffron but still can't find a possible birth match around 1862.

Edited:  just had a quick look and I think Margaret Sophia married a Campbell in 1875 and ended up in QLD so she's a gonner.
Jeacock
Colebourne
Shepherd
Scotter
Sievers
Knowles
Pritchard
Lilley
Hart/Hertz
Woodmansey
Monnington
Thomas (South Wales)