Author Topic: Rootsweb Freepages FTP inaccessible?  (Read 1309 times)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Rootsweb Freepages FTP inaccessible?
« on: Saturday 26 August 23 15:54 BST (UK) »
I'm currently in correspondence with Rootsweb/Ancestry because I can't log in to their server to manage my Freepages website. I've tried with both WinSCP (error message: "Network error: Software caused connection abort") and FileZilla ("Error:   Could not connect to server").

Ancestry have suggested I reset my password, but I think that's unlikely to be the problem, since (a) I don't seem to be getting as far as a password check, otherwise surely it would be mentioned in the error message, and (b) my wife can't log in to manage her site either.

Please could anyone with a Freepages site check whether they can access it? And does anyone have any suggestions of what I could try, other than keep pressing the point with Ancestry?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rootsweb Freepages FTP inaccessible?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 August 23 20:17 BST (UK) »
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 August 23 20:28 BST (UK) »
I have, thank you, and that was the reason for wanting to log in to manage the site. As it's going to become read-only I want to replace any pages that I might potentially want to update at some point (ie all of them) with a single page saying that the site has moved somewhere else. Either that or just remove the lot.
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline ColinUSA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 September 23 03:38 BST (UK) »
I have been able to access via FileZilla using the SFT protocol. However, I am blocked from using a browser to access my site or any other including Rootsweb support to discover if this block is real or fake. It appears that a company called Cloudfare is involved.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 September 23 11:25 BST (UK) »
I haven't had that problem, and my site is still accessible. I think Cloudflare is (or operates) part of the cloud-based web, rather than anything specifically Rootsweb - I've a feeling I occasionally get their messages if RootsChat is a bit overloaded.

By "SFT protocol" do you mean SFTP? That's what I've been trying, and it still isn't working. I sent another message off to support yesterday, so I'll see if they can come up with anything else.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 September 23 11:59 BST (UK) »
I haven't had that problem, and my site is still accessible. I think Cloudflare is (or operates) part of the cloud-based web, rather than anything specifically Rootsweb - I've a feeling I occasionally get their messages if RootsChat is a bit overloaded.

I get that occasionally, too!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline ColinUSA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 September 23 15:51 BST (UK) »
Yes, I meant SFTP. Now I have access via browser but I didn't do anything so I suppose you are right that Cloudfare steps in when there is a lot of traffic.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 September 23 17:13 BST (UK) »
I was surprised to find Cloudflare is registered with Companies House, London and is an IT development company.

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/search/companies?q=Cloudflare
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline ColinUSA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile