Author Topic: Graignamanagh Parish Records  (Read 230 times)

Offline WirralLad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Graignamanagh Parish Records
« on: Saturday 26 August 23 17:28 BST (UK) »
I have been been looking at the Roman Catholic Parish Register for the parish of Graignamanagh county Kilkenny on the National Library of Ireland website.
I am particularly interested in two baptisms that took place on 24th August 1855 namely:

Baptism of Ellen of Pat Dugons and Ellen Adly and
Baptism of Maria of John Adly and Sarah Hatchet

After the  two entries there is a  } ,a curly bracket and after the curly bracket the word 'Adulto' written above the word Graig.

Does anybody know what the word 'Adulto' means is it a place?

Also after the words 'Adulto' above 'Graig' is says witnesses and gives two names.
Does anybody know why the parish register for these two baptisms would have the names of the witnesses recorded when all the other baptisms do not have the names of the witnesses or sponsors recorded.
I have an image of the entry that  makes it clearer than my words but I do not wish to breach copyright rules by posting the image.

Many thanks in anticipation of you help
Regards
Wirral Lad

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Graignamanagh Parish Records
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 August 23 17:38 BST (UK) »
Could it mean they were adults and not babies?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 August 23 17:57 BST (UK) »
Agree with Milliepede.
Have a look at the attachment - Adults? and Graig as the townland.

By the way you can post the image.

Edited to Add-
Witnesses
Thos F........?
Ellen Casey
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 August 23 18:45 BST (UK) »

Baptism of Ellen of Pat Dugons and Ellen Adly and

It's a double 'e' rather than a 'u' in Patrick's surname, ie. Deegan.  Here's an earlier daughter Anne being baptised for this same couple in 1842, his surname is clearer:

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634466#page/34/mode/1up (left page, 2nd entry up from bottom)

Does anybody know why the parish register for these two baptisms would have the names of the witnesses recorded when all the other baptisms do not have the names of the witnesses or sponsors recorded.

As far as I can see, every other entry on that page does indeed list the sponsors.  My understanding on the distinction with witnesses is that sponsors were expected to assist in raising a Catholic child in the Catholic faith and therefore had to be Catholics, witnesses could be of any Christian denomination. 

Offline WirralLad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 August 23 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Milliepede, Kiltaglassen and Gaffy,

Many thanks for your replies.

I believe that Gaffy has got it correct that the witnesses at a Roman Catholic Baptism do not have to be of the Roman Catholic Faith where as sponsors do. have to be of that faith.

I am still concerned that the 'Adulto' could be a place of abode for the first baptism and Graig the place of abode for the second baptism.

Gaffy; thanks for the corection of the surname from Dugan to Deegan and the extra baptism in 1842
I have also found a baptism for a Pat  Dugan or Deegan in 1845 in the same parish records.

Can anybody make any suggestions as to how I can find the marriage record of  Patrick Deegan to Ellen Adly or the marriage of John Adly to Sarah Hatchett.

I am trying to aascertain whether the two people with the Adly surname are related to the Audley family of Inistioge and the Rower both about 6 miles from Graignamanagh.

Thanks for all your help
Regards
Wirral Lad

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 August 23 20:24 BST (UK) »
Adult baptisms in RC registers often indicate someone of a different denomination who was switching to become RC. At that time any previous baptism under say the Church of Ireland was not regarded as valid in the RC church. Hence the need for a fresh baptism.

One of the reasons for switching denomination was because the person was about to marry someone who was RC. So adult baptisms often precede an RC marriage by a month or two.
Elwyn

Offline WirralLad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 August 23 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Elwyn Soutter,
Many thanks for your reply.
Can I ask you to take a look at the image of the two related baptisms that Kiltaglassen put on line.

Would you interpret the record that both baptisms were of an adult or just the one?

Regards
Wirral Lad

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 August 23 21:25 BST (UK) »
I think they were both adults. Though many priests used Latin and sometimes cod Latin in their registers these entries are in English. So I think its an english word. I think it says adults, rather than adulto. Latin for adult is adultus, and for adults is adultorum. It’s neither of those.
Elwyn

Offline WirralLad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 August 23 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Elwyn Soutter,

Many thanks for that interpretation

Regards
Wirral Lad