Author Topic: Sole of Polesworth  (Read 251 times)

Offline toeckes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Sole of Polesworth
« on: Saturday 26 August 23 17:45 BST (UK) »
George Sole of Polesworth born 1723 is my ancestor. He married Elizabeth Wood in 1749 in Grendon, Warwickshire. Their daughter Sarah married John Cooper in 1792. I have had no luck tracing George’s parents. I have found 3 lawsuits  with Thomas Sole yeoman of Wharton Polesworth in the British National Archives for the period of 1719-1722 but found no direct connection to George. Any leads are appreciated.
Marriott,  Clarke,  Jones,  Atwood,  Tilson, Brewin

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sole of Polesworth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 August 23 19:29 BST (UK) »
Some background for others:

The 1749 marriage licence states that George Sole is of Bramcote in the county of Warwick aged 26 or thereabouts and Elizabeth Wood, widow, is of Chedleton [sic] in the county of Stafford. The witnesses to the marriage licence were John Woodward, Han Noel and Philip Whelon (?).

They had at least:
- George (1754)
- Sarah (1757)
- Abraham (1760)

All baptised in Polesworth; described as of the parish of Warton. Big gap between marriage and first child (5 years).

Also likely Ann (1763); she was baptised in nearby Austrey.

Likely burial for George in 1795 in Polesworth, but no extra information is provided.

Thomas Sole of Warton married Sarah Cox in 1716 and had Thomas (1716) and Sarah (1718), who were baptised in Polesworth. He died in 1731; his will mentions that he has 2 children and names them as above. Cannot see any obvious connection between him and George, other than their parish.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline toeckes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Sole of Polesworth
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 August 23 22:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I will see what I can do with the fact Elizabeth was a widow and try to find something about the marriage witnesses.
Marriott,  Clarke,  Jones,  Atwood,  Tilson, Brewin