Author Topic: Searching for death of William Taylor, Findochty, son of James Taylor/Anne Clark  (Read 264 times)

Offline Duntocher Boy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
 I am looking for the death of William Taylor son of James Taylor an Anne Clark, he was born in 1800 in Rathven, Banffshire. He married Margaret Flett 1800-1882 in 1819.
He is listed in the 1861 census, but not in 1871 where his wife Margaret is listed as a widow.
I have searched for many years for his death but have not found anything. His occupation was a tailor and he is listed in the 1855 Valuation roll living in Findochty, he is not listed in the 1865 Valuation roll, so I am guessing he died between 1861 and 1865. But there is no sign of his death certificate in Scotland’s People, or can I find a burial record.
Has anyone ever found out any information about his death?

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for death of William Taylor, Findochty, son of James Taylor/Anne Clark
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 August 23 09:40 BST (UK) »
Anne Clark is related to me, she being d/o my 5xgtgdparents James Clark & Elspet Andrew.
I had the same problem as you - no sign of his death.

I did note that perhaps this was due to a mis-indexing either in the register index itself or in ScotlandsPeople's own indexation - you'd have to wade through first every register index (not so onerous because I've done it with the real registers at the Banff Registration Office - although I'm not sure how/whether these indexes have been digitised) and then every register entry (very onerous! only sensibly feasible 'onsite').

One other possibility to consider is that the entire family of his eldest son James Taylor 'disappears' after 1851 with his son William (born 1840) possibly turning up in New Zealand (where a William Taylor died 19-3-1924 age 84 in Auckland, he was said born in Banffshire, he married an Elizabeth Cowan in 1869 in Auckland).

He's too distant a relative for me to warrant me pursuing any further. Hope this turns out to be helpful!

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for death of William Taylor, Findochty, son of James Taylor/Anne Clark
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 August 23 14:16 BST (UK) »
Many death records are missing at that time... I can't see it either. It's possible it's missing or he died outside of Scotland.

I see siblings deaths. 

Alexander 1876
James 1876
Margaret 1879

I see he was a tailor and his last place of residence in 1861 was Village Of Findochty.

There is a couple William Taylor's that were born about 1800 and died, but it's not in Banff (one in Peterhead) and it doesn't say the mothers name.

Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Duntocher Boy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 August 23 22:30 BST (UK) »
Anne Clark is related to me, she being d/o my 5xgtgdparents James Clark & Elspet Andrew.
I had the same problem as you - no sign of his death.

I did note that perhaps this was due to a mis-indexing either in the register index itself or in ScotlandsPeople's own indexation - you'd have to wade through first every register index (not so onerous because I've done it with the real registers at the Banff Registration Office - although I'm not sure how/whether these indexes have been digitised) and then every register entry (very onerous! only sensibly feasible 'onsite').

One other possibility to consider is that the entire family of his eldest son James Taylor 'disappears' after 1851 with his son William (born 1840) possibly turning up in New Zealand (where a William Taylor died 19-3-1924 age 84 in Auckland, he was said born in Banffshire, he married an Elizabeth Cowan in 1869 in Auckland).

He's too distant a relative for me to warrant me pursuing any further. Hope this turns out to be helpful!

Thanks for your reply. My great great grandfather was his son William, he didn’t go to New Zealand, he drowned at Findochty in 1899.
I like you think it could be an indexing issue, I have been looking for a long time for his death, and in the 1980’s searched the death index volumes in New Register House to no avail. Are the local indexes still in Banff?

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 September 23 17:18 BST (UK) »
His brother Alexander died 1876. I had a real good look and also couldn't find a death for William Taylor the tailor. There are a couple deaths with the age correct in Edinburgh area. It's also possible he died in England. There are loads of William Taylor names listed though and no mother's surnames on GRO like they have for births.

TAYLOR
ALEXANDER
CLARK
M
164 / 47
Rathven
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 September 23 17:31 BST (UK) »
It's also possible he died in England. There are loads of William Taylor names listed though and no mother's surnames on GRO like they have for births.
That's because English death certificates never list the names of the parents of the deceased.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 September 23 18:08 BST (UK) »
Here's something ...  possibly  ;)

It seems between 1861 and 1863 William Taylor had a career change from tailoring to crofting/cartering.

He appears to be alive as of Feb 4th 1863.

Attached: marriage of William's daughter Sophia to William Begg -Feb 4th 1863

Sophia seems to be the latest marriage to check in 1863. I had hoped there would be a later one.