Author Topic: Burial of Esther Ann Gardiner - died Jarrow 1879?  (Read 198 times)

Offline Sandrafamilytree

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial of Esther Ann Gardiner - died Jarrow 1879?
« on: Monday 28 August 23 10:18 BST (UK) »
My great-great-grandmother was Esther Ann Gardiner (born Eaves).

I would love to know where Esther was buried so that I could visit the graveyard.

She died of sepsis, aged 39, on 11 November 1879 at 23 Henry Street, Jarrow, four days after giving birth to her daughter Harriet.

Her husband was Henry Gardiner, who remarried and emigrated to Canada. (I have no baptism record for Harriet yet, or burial record although I think she died in 1880. I am not aware of any family affiliation to a particular church. I can't find anything on Durham Records Online. Most of Esther's other children were born in Suffolk, before she and Henry moved North.)

If anyone has access to possible Cemetery records - and if it is not too much trouble - I would be very grateful for any information received.

Alternatively if anyone knows where someone who died in Henry Street, Jarrow in 1879 MIGHT be buried, that clue would give me a start.

Very many thanks.  :)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Burial of Esther Ann Gardiner - died Jarrow 1879?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 August 23 12:30 BST (UK) »
As you have her actual date & place of death, have you contacted the records office to see if they are able to help?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 August 23 12:50 BST (UK) »
As you seem to be in the area, I'd suggest a visit to the local archives at the Word in South Shields.

Jarrow Cemetery is an option, and the staff would probably be able to advise you about the most likely churchyard.

Boo

Offline Sandrafamilytree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 August 23 12:58 BST (UK) »
As you seem to be in the area, I'd suggest a visit to the local archives at the Word in South Shields.

Jarrow Cemetery is an option, and the staff would probably be able to advise you about the most likely churchyard.

Boo

Thanks for that. I haven't been to The Word, but will give that a try.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 August 23 13:01 BST (UK) »
GRO has Harriet Gardiner age 0  Q3 1880 South Shields (the local registrars search show that the death was registered in Jarrow sub district)

GRO will provide a digital image of the register entry, instantly for £2.50

Boo

Offline Sandrafamilytree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 August 23 13:14 BST (UK) »
GRO has Harriet Gardiner age 0  Q3 1880 South Shields (the local registrars search show that the death was registered in Jarrow sub district)

GRO will provide a digital image of the register entry, instantly for £2.50

Boo

Thankyou... yes I planned to buy that record, just hadn't got round to it yet. I've bought a lot of those £2.50 records - they are proving to be very illuminating, though often so sad, especially the ones for children.