Author Topic: Stewarts of Ballintoy and some related families  (Read 7261 times)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stewarts of Ballintoy and some related families
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 12 September 23 18:41 BST (UK) »
No, I'm afraid all I know about the Robert Stewart & Elsie MacAuley line is what is included in the Dobbs Report.

I'm currently reviewing a Stewart pedigree (PRONI D2138/17/B) which includes a MacAuley line from Major Alexander down to George MacAuley who married Jane Hill, daughter of George Hill of Larne.

Just to be clear, the George Vesey footnote I was referring to is in "The Vesey Family: Three Generations in Ireland" in The Irish Genealogist (Vol 15, No. 1).  One of their sources was a family register with exact birth details - e.g. George Vesey was apparently born at 10:30pm on the 18th August 1681 in Tuam.

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 12 September 23 23:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Gilby.  As I have never read the article on the Vesey family, I guess I may not need new glasses after all, then.
I would be interested in any information that you may find on the Macaulays of Glenville, Cushendall as this family is one of my main research interests mostly do to the fact it has a proven descent from the Lairds of Ardincaple, Dumbartonshire, Scotland.

I am especially curious if one of the Alexander Macaulays was married twice as a marriage took place with a Miss Fulton, and there were some children from this marriage.  This marriage would have occurred sometime around the mid 1700s, I believe.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 16 September 23 15:00 BST (UK) »
No Miss Fulton unfortunately.  I’ll post a transcript of this pedigree here if/when I get the time to finish it.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 16 September 23 17:44 BST (UK) »
Here's a transcript of the "pedigree of Stewarts of Balintoy" from PRONI D2138/17/1.  I think I'm going to split this into three posts, one for each of the sons in the 1st generation.

This table made out June 1st 1809.  Ninian or Ringen Stewart came from Bute early in the 17th century and was married to Janet Blair.  He was the son of John, who was descended from a James of the Bute family and 1st Sheriff of Bute.

1. Archibald Stewart of B’lough and B’toy which last he got a grant of from the Antrim family in 1624 by his father, was married to a Miss Ward of the Castle Ward family.
1.1. Charles Stewart married a Miss Poyntz.  He was born 1660.
1.1.1. Doctor Archibald Stewart married a Miss Vesey, only child smothered when bathing.
1.1.2. Toby Richard Poyntz [no commas] Jane and Rose died unmarried.
1.1.3. Alexander 4th son married Anne, only daughter of John Stewart of Jamaica.
1.1.3.1. Anne married Richard Dobbs of Castle Dobbs whose ancestor was a mayor of London 1600.
1.1.3.2. Alexander Stewart married Miss Hill sister of the late Sir Hugh of Derry.
1.1.3.2.1. Alexander Thomas Stewart died without issue.
1.1.3.2.2. Jane Stewart married Francis Dobbs, younger brother of the Revd. Dean Dobbs of Carrickfergus, son of Revd. Doctor Dobbs of Lisburn & a Fellow of Trinity College, brother to Governor Dobbs whose ancestor came over with King William from England. X
1.1.3.2.2.1. Revd. Richd. S. Dobbs married Harriet 2nd dau of Alexander McAulay of Glenville.
1.1.3.2.2.1.1. Revd. Frank Dobbs.
1.1.3.2.2.1.2. Alexander Dobbs, dead.
1.1.3.2.2.1.3. Harriet Dobbs, dead.
1.1.3.2.2.1.4. Jane Dobbs, dead.
1.1.3.2.2.1.5. Arthur Dobbs.
1.1.3.2.2.1.6. Richard St. Dobbs.
1.1.3.2.2.1.7. Mary Dobbs married Revd. ____ Hartrick.
1.1.3.2.2.1.8. Harriet Dobbs married in India.
1.1.3.2.2.1.9. Alexander Dobbs.
1.1.3.2.2.1.10. Kitty Dobbs.
1.1.3.2.2.1.11. Anne Dobbs.
1.1.3.2.2.2. William and Kitty dead.
1.1.3.2.2.3. Maria, married to her cousin Conway Dobbs, 4th son of Dean Dobbs of Carrickfergus, has…
1.1.3.2.2.3.1. Jane, Harriet Maria, Richard Francis Madaline, Conway and Kate.
1.1.3.2.2.4. Frank Dobbs, Captain Armagh Militia of the line and now of the Antrim Militia.
1.1.3.2.2.5. Alexander Dobbs Post Captain 1813 married a Miss Cartwright of Canada.
1.1.3.2.2.6. Joseph Dobbs, Captain 52 Foot, killed in the assault of Ciudad Rodrigo in Spain.
1.1.3.2.2.7. John Dobbs Lieut 52d foot.  Now Captn. married Mary Anne, daughter of William Baily Wallace Esq of Dublin, Barrack of Nenagh.
1.1.3.2.3. Sophie Stewart unmarried.  Dead.
1.1.3.3. Rose married Edward Brice of Killroot, who left a family dead lately.
1.2. Mary born 1665 married Richard Dobbs, father of Governor Dobbs of Castle Dobbs.

X Governor Dobbs of South Carolina who built Castle Dobbs, had a son Conway of Castle Dobbs who left by his first wife, Richard Dobbs who is married to a Miss Obins whose mother was a sister of the late Lord Gosford – by his second wife Edward who died – Robert married to Miss Bristow of Belfast, dead, & Fanny married to a Capn. Gayer – both of whom have families – a daughter of Robert’s (Charity Dobbs) is married to Dr. McDonnell, son of Dr. James McDonnell, Belfast. 1827.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 16 September 23 17:46 BST (UK) »
Part 2 of 3.

2. John Stewart of Kilchattan and Auscog in the island of Bute.  Married 1st Mary Cunningham.  2nd Margaret Clelland.  Died some time prior to 1709.
2.1. (by 1st marriage) John Stewart married Elizabeth Robertson, died about 1725.
2.1.1. John Stewart alias Black Barony married Miss Murray died without issue 1771 leaving an entail in favour of his sister cutting off the legal heir Alexander Stewart of Ballintoy.
2.1.2. Mary Stewart survived her brother 2 or 3 years, and died about 1773-4 without being married.
2.2. Robert Stewart married (as is said) Mary Spice of Barbadoes afterwards Elizabeth Lawrence & who married Archibald Hutchinson.
2.2.1. Mary who married Sir ___ Stewart Play____ Bart … had a daughter.
2.2.1.1. Harriet, married William, Earl of Radnor 1747.
2.2.1.1.1. Jacob, only son of sd. Harriet, Earl Radnor.  Eldest son Lord Folkestone.  Lord Radnor is incorrect in some statements.
2.3. (by 1st marriage) William Stewart died unmarried.
2.4. (by 1st marriage) Elizabeth married a William Weir, died without issue.
2.5. (by 1st marriage) Isabella married Archibald McArthur of Wilton and afterwards Campbell of Hernan – one son by first marriage.
2.5.1. John McArthur.
2.5.1.1. Archibald McArthur Stewart, now of Ascog, grandson of the above Isabella, son of John McArthur, unmarried, his only sister died unmarried.
2.5.2. ____ Campbell.
2.5.2.1. ___ Campbell, grandchildren of abovementioned Isabella.
2.6. (by 2nd marriage) James Stewart born 1635 died 1708.  Married Christian Stewart his cousin, by whom John of Jamaica and Mrs Margaret Newton Flower Hill.
2.6.1. John Stewart married Anne Emsom, daughter of John Emson of Jamaica.  Half brother to Archibald Hutchinson.
2.6.1.1. Thomas Stewart died young and without issue.
2.6.1.2. Anne married said Alexander 4th son of Charles Stewart of B’toy.
2.6.2. 2nd daughter married Revd. Thos. Newton of Flower Hill and died without issue.  Half sister of Archibald Hutchinson. 
2.7. (by 2nd marriage) Grissel wife of Robert Fullerton of Barton Holm, Writer to the Signet.
2.7.1. ____ Fullerton.
2.7.1.1. ____ Fullerton, grandson of the above Grissel.

Some documents by tradition led us to believe John of Jamaica and Mrs. Newton of Flower Hill were children of Robert, but by James’ will, dated 1708, Christian his widow 1720, & others in the Diocesan Court of Down, it was Robert’s younger brother James, who was the father, his tombstone is in Coleraine of which parish he died Rector.

James Stewart being son of John, nephew of Archibald of B’toy & Ninian Stewart, cannot be doubted, who have been proved brother’s sons of Ninian the Elder of Bute, by the title deeds in the Bute family to the lands of Kilchattan, & by the proving of the Hutchinson charity, sd Hutchinson’s father having been married to Christian granddaughter of Ninion the elder.  She afterwards married her cousin Revd. James Stewart Rector of Cleraine, died 1708 aged 75, father of Dr. John Stewart of Jamaica, & Mrs Newton of Flower Hill, as appears by their respective wills etc.  Dr. John’s only surviving daughter married her kinsman Alexander Stewart, grandson of said Archibald Stewart, as appears by the B’toy title deeds & marriage settlements in possession of Alexander McNeile of B’Castle, as also by Fort Stewart title deeds etc.  Also Robert Boyd of Acton & Ascog tenants in the Isle of Bute who considered the B’toy family as the legal heirs to that estate, & to the late John Stewart of Ascog who died 1771 cutting off Ballintoy Stewart.

I think the pedigree has the lines from siblings Isabella and James Stewart muddled up, so the version presented above has been corrected.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 16 September 23 17:49 BST (UK) »
Part 3 of 3.

3. Ninian Stewart who married Jane McCullock by whom he had twelve children, 5 sons, and 7 daughters.
3.1. Christian Stewart, eldest daughter, died 1728.  Married Archibald Hutchinson.  2ndly married a James Stewart.  One son by 1st marriage…
3.1.1. Archibald Hutchinson, who left the legacy & died without issue 1740 being married.
3.2. Alice, 5th daughter, married Major Alexander McAulay of Scotland.
3.2.1. Alexander McAulay the 2nd, married a Mrs Watson a widow, and had issue:
3.2.1.1. Alexander McAulay the 3rd, married Margaret Boyd of B’Castle, had issue:
3.2.1.1.1. Anne McAulay married Robert Adair of B’mena Esq, their children are,
3.2.1.1.1.1. William Adair & Robert Adair, ____ Adair, and Alexander Adair, sons of William [sic … grandsons of Anne?].
3.2.1.1.2. Rose McAulay married John Godly of Dublin Esq, their children are,
3.2.1.1.2.1. William, Alexander & John, Anne Rose & Margaret Godley.  William & Alexander dead.  A son of William alive.  John married.
3.2.1.1.3. Alexander McAulay the 4th at present living, married J H Acheson, sister of the late Lord Gosford, father of the present Lord.  Their children are:
3.2.1.1.3.1. Revd. Alexander McAuley the 5th.
3.2.1.1.3.2. Archibald George, Hugh, Arthur,
3.2.1.1.3.3. Mary, married Major James Higginson. 
3.2.1.1.3.3.1. James Higginson, gone to the East Indies.
3.2.1.1.3.3.2. Harriet.
3.2.1.1.3.4. Harriet [married?] R S Dobbs, Anne unmarried.
3.2.1.1.3.5. [It is not clear who George was the son of.]
3.2.1.1.3.5.1. Captain George McAulay married Jane Hill eldest daughter of George Hill Esq of Larne, has left Alexander, Mary, Harriet & Georgina.
3.2.1.1.4. Hugh McAulay afterwards Boyd married Francis Murphy.  Their children are:
3.2.1.1.4.1. Hugh McAulay Boyd married Anne Lowry of London.
3.2.1.1.4.2. Elizabeth McAulay Boyd, unmarried.

From Ninian Stewart’s 5 sons & 7 daughters were established about 1600 poor relations within the 6th degree to Archibald Hutchinson by Francis Dobbs.

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 17 September 23 00:45 BST (UK) »
Many thanks once again, Gilby.  I will be anxiously awaiting on what you come up with on this rather prolific family.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 17 September 23 15:53 BST (UK) »
Well I feel I should start off with the obligatory “not all of what you read above will be correct”.  There are several Stewart pedigrees, and none of them agree on everything.  This one is interesting because it was put together fairly early (1809), not long after the Dobbs Report (1790s).  Hopefully someone will someday discover Dobbs’s notes, because the published version only lists the “poor relations”.

As far as I'm concerned, it has yet to be proven that John Stewart of Kilchattan/Ascog was a brother of Archibald Stewart and Ninian Stewart.  It is clear that the compiler of the pedigree may have had an ulterior motive in making this claim.

Francis Dobbs had this to say on the topic:
I rejected all claiming through uncles of Christian Stewart, by being brothers to her father, except Archibald Stewart, there being satisfactory evidence that Ninion Stewart, who first came from Scotland, had only three sons Archibald, Ninion and Randal, which Randal died young and unmarried.  The evidence of this, was the testimony of Robert Boyd, of Acton, in the County of Armagh, Esq.  He had carefully examined as to the sons of Ninion, on an occasion that could not have had this present enquiry in view, and who got his information chiefly from an agent of the Ballantoy family, who is dead.

There are some points I could make in favour of John being a middle brother:

1.   The Orr pedigree (NLI GO MS 180) says Archibald was a 1st son, and Ninian was a 3rd son, which leaves room for John (or Randal) to have been the 2nd son. 
2.   The Orr book (Descendants of James Orr and Janet McClement - Jones 1977) includes John Stewart of “Killyhallen and Ascog” as a 2nd son, and it has his 2nd wife but not the 1st wife, which shows it is not copied from D3138/17/1.
3.   The 1665 will of Major John Stewart of Dunduff refers to his wife’s uncle Captain John Stewart.  This could be John Stewart of Kilchattan/Ascog, or it could be her uncle by marriage, John Stewart of Red Bay.

I need to take another look at the Scottish records…

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 17 September 23 17:17 BST (UK) »
By the way, do you know if Captain George MacAuley who married Jane Hill was the son of the Rev. Alexander MacAuley?