Author Topic: Stewarts of Ballintoy and some related families  (Read 7259 times)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stewarts of Ballintoy and some related families
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 September 23 17:13 BST (UK) »
Comments (in green and italics) added to the Stewart pedigree in the 1st post

Stewarts of Ballintoy

1.Archibald Stewart of Largyan;  lands confisated in 1546 for his support of Matthew, Earl of Lennox.
I've seen his name mentioned, but I'm not sure if there is any hard evidence.

2.?James ?
Yes, James, John or possibly even Robert, depending on who you believe.

3.Ninan  m.
According to some pedigrees, his wife was Janet (or perhaps Elizabeth) Blair.

4.Archibald ;  b. abt. 1593;  in 1625 was granted lands in Co. Antrim by
Randal MacDonnell, 1st Earl of Antrim.  In 1630 Archibald was appointed the Earl's land
agent.
Different sources list wives Isabel Echlin (daughter of Robert), Miss Ward (of Castle Ward) and Martha Dobbin.  I’m not sure which Archibald was married to which wife or wives.

5 Archibald , MP; m. Martha Dobbin.
Some pedigrees don't mention this Archibald.  If he didn't exist, then his father must have had several wives and had children over a very long period.  So I agree there probably was a son Archibald who probably married Martha Dobbin.  I don't think I'd heard of him as an MP before though ... are there any records which back that up?

6.Bernella  m. 1650 James Stewart, son of John Stewart of Straidh.

7.Nicholas  died 1667.

7.Archibald  m. Miss Poyntz, dau of Sir Toby Poyntz of Acton.
Not sure about this.  See below.

8.Rev. Dr. Archibald, c. 1677-1760; m. 1714 Leonora Vesey, dau of the Most Rev. John Vesey and Anne Muschamp, dau of Col. Agmondisham Muschamp.
**Note:  the book, Clergy of Connor, has this Archibald as being the son of Charles Stewart, and
not Archibald and Miss Poyntz.
Yes, the Rev. Dr. Archibald Stewart was son of Charles Stewart and Sarah Poyntz (daughter of Sir Toby).  Charles was a Colonel in the army and died in about 1703.  He was the son of Archibald, son of Ninian.

8.Frances  m. George Vesey, son of the Most Rev. John Vesey and Anne Muschamp, dau of Agmondisham Muschamp.
According to "The Vesey Family: Three Generations in Ireland" in The Irish Genealogist (Vol 15, No. 1), this George Vesey was married to Frances Bave.

8.Alexander  died 1742;  in 1720 appointed agent to Antrim estates; married to Anne Stewart, dau of John Stewart of Fort Stewart, Jamaica.;  his assistant land agent was John Cuppage.
This Alexander was the 4th son of Charles Stewart.

9.Alexander T. Stewart m. a sister of Sir Hugh Hill.
I don't think this Alexander had a "T" middle name ... his son was Alexander Thomas Stewart.  His 1st wife's name was Catherine Hill, and they also had daughters Sophia Stewart and Jane Stewart (who married Francis Dobbs).  Alexander had a 2nd wife called Mary Jane Campbell, and they had a daughter Jemima Campbell Stewart.

10.Alexander , died about 1790, unmarried;  died in poverty.

7.Mary  m. Richard Dobbs;  Mary may have been a dau of Archibald and Martha Dobbin.
I think she was the daughter of Archibald Stewart and Martha Dobbin, but I don't have proof.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 September 23 17:50 BST (UK) »
Just a bit more on Charles Stewart and is family, since he is often left out (e.g. I don’t think he gets a mention in the Rev. George Hill’s book).

I’ve seen various dates for Charles’s death, including 1703, 1708, 1710 and 1711.  He’s often stated to have died in Spain.  He was a Major or perhaps a Colonel very late in life.

Here’s an abstract of his will…
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSNR-W9G5-V?cat=225052

Brief pedigree, using the number convention in the 1st post...

5. Charles Stewart of Ballintoy (born before 1650, died between 1703 and 1711) married Sarah Poyntz (died before 1700), and they had issue (order uncertain):

6. Rev. Dr. Archibald Stewart of Ballintoy (born c1677, died 1760) married (c1714) Leonora Vesey (born 1690/1 and died about 1751).  They had one son who died an infant in about 1735.

6. Jane Stewart (born about 1684, died 1766).  Unmarried.  Mentions lots of relatives in her will.

6. Toby Stewart … probably unmarried?

6. Richard Stewart … probably unmarried?

6. Rose Stewart (died before 1760) … probably unmarried?

6. Alexander Stewart of Ballylough (died 1742) married Ann Stewart.  They had:

7. Alexander Stewart of Ballintoy/Acton (born between 1724 and 1730, died about 1787).  He married first (1751) Catherine Hill (alive in 1760) and had issue.  He married secondly Mary Jane Campbell (died c1808 in France), and they had one daughter.

7. Anne Stewart (died 1765) married Conway Richard Dobbs (died 1811) of Castle Dobbs and had issue.  (Dobbs had a second wife, Charity Burrows.)

7. Rose Stewart (died c1758) married Edward Brice (born early 1720s, died 1808) of Kilroot, later moved to Bath, and they had issue too.  (Brice had a second wife, Jane Adair.)

7. Catherine Stewart…?  Mentioned as a niece in the will of Jane Stewart but it is not clear where she belongs.

Edward Brice and Conway Richard Dobbs were 1st cousins.  They were both grandsons of Richard Dobbs and Mary Stewart.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 September 23 17:56 BST (UK) »
In 1652 and 1653 the following Ballintoy Stewarts were mentioned:
Robert Oge Stewart, nephew of Archibald.
Maj. John Stewart of Ballintoy
Capt. Alexander Stewart of Ballintoy
Alexander Stewart, Sr. of Ballintoy
Lt. Thomas Stewart of Ballintoy
Quarter master Robert Stewart

What's this from?

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 03 September 23 18:02 BST (UK) »
I suspect that Poyntz Stewart (1736-1823) was descended from Archibald who m. Miss Poyntz (numbered 7 in your list).  His parents were Capt. Charles Stewart of Carrickfergus and Rose née Hall (probably of the Narrow Water family).  There's a large memorial tablet on the outer wall of Lisburn cathedral, not all of it very legible.

Confusingly, there is another Stewart-Poyntz link which explains this guy's name.  Rose Hall's mother was Christian Poyntz, sister of the Sarah Poyntz who married Charles Stewart of Ballintoy.

I have not yet figured out where Capt. Charles Stewart of Lisburn/Carrickfergus came from, and whether he as related to the Stewarts of Ballintoy.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 03 September 23 18:10 BST (UK) »
Samuel Close m. a Miss Stewart of Ballintoy; their son was drowned as a schoolboy c. 1781
(he's unlikely to have been more than 16 if he was still at school).

Samuel Close's father was Richard Close of Drumbanagher.  His mother was the Rose Hall who went on to marry Capt. Charles Stewart of Lisburn/Carrickfergus.

I've not identified this "Miss Stewart of Ballintoy" yet.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 03 September 23 18:45 BST (UK) »
Are the following Stuarts/Stewarts of Ballintoy or not?  We do know that the families were co-joined through marriage.
Ref. The Clergy of Connor by Rev. J. B. Leslie
       Ontarian Families, Genealogies of United Empire Loyalists by Edward Marion Chadwick

1.Henry Stuart m. Jane, dau of Christopher Irwin and Sarah Ormsby.

2.Rev. Irwin Stuart m. 1736 to Elizabeth McDaniel (or McDonnell), sister of Capt. Charles McDaniel.
   Chadwick has Irwin as being the son of Col. James or Alexander who married Jane Irwin of
   Leibeg, Co. Roscommon.

3.James Stuart of Grace Hill, b. 1743 m. Grace Lynd.

Chadwick made the following comment:  "This family is not connected with any other of the families
of Stewart in the north of Ireland."  I, for one, however, am in disagreement with this statement.

By the way, for others reading, this Stuart family is discussed in this thread:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=813627.0

I've not seen any evidence to connect this Stuart/Stewart family to the Stewarts of Ballintoy.  Charles George Stuart (c1793-1873) apparently thought his ancestors were from County Cavan.

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 06 September 23 03:41 BST (UK) »
Gilby,
Many thanks for your corrections and added information.  Perhaps this will answer some of the questions you had:

Burke's Dormand and Extinct Peerages
See FitzGerald--Baron FitzGerald and Vesey, p. 203.
"George  of Hollymount, Co. Mayo married Frances, dau of
Archibald Stewart, Esq. of Ballintoy.

Taken from The Stewarts of Ballintoy by Hill
P. 25, Archibald Stewart was succeeded by his son, named also Archibald.
Of the latter not much is known beyond the facts that he was an influential
country gentleman and for a time enjoyed the distinction of being a member of parliament.

P.26, Archibald Stewart, Esq. in 1662, a member of the House, mentioned in a dispute with
Dr. Ralph King, also a member of the House.

P.37, mention made of Capt. James Stewart, Capt. Alexander Stewart, Alexander Stewart, Sr., Lt. Thomas Stewart, and Quartermaster Robert Stewart.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 11 September 23 22:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the extra notes Paul.

I’ve not done much research on the Veseys myself, but the article I mentioned is a tour de force.  There is a footnote which acknowledges that Burke’s Peerage says George Vesey’s wife was Frances Stewart, but it explains that this is wrong. 

I’ve re-read the Rev. George Hill’s Stewarts of Ballintoy.  I’m still a little bit concerned by the lack of information about Archibald junior (if he existed).  Archibald senior was alive and very active during the 1641 rebellion, so it’s not impossible he was a rather elderly MP in 1662.  The latest mention I have (so far) of either Archibald is in the will of Humphrey Abdy in 1671.

Thanks for the snippet about the Stewarts threatened with “removal” in 1653.  The first name on the list is Major John Stewart who I would guess is the Major John Stewart of Dunduff who married Jean Stewart, daughter of Archibald Stewart of Ballintoy in 1650. 

It would be pure speculation as to who the other men are.  I wonder if Quatermaster Robert Stewart is the same as Robert Oge Stewart.  The latter was active in 1641 and apparently a nephew of Archibald Stewart.  That could make him Robert, second son of Ninian.

…Except I have a suspicion most of Ninian’s children wouldn’t have been born until about the 1640s.  His eldest son was apparently William Stewart of Carey (Garry), but William married in 1681 and lived until 1727 – I’m reasonably sure it’s him because his will refers to his brother-in-law Neile Buy McNeile.

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 12 September 23 00:59 BST (UK) »
Gilby, as always many thanks for your additional input.  Hill's work on the Stewarts is indeed vague, so it definitely has its limitations.
I must have missed the footnote on George Vesey and Frances.  Perhaps it is time to have my prescription changed and get new glasses.
In truth, I haven't done that much research on the Ballintoy Stewarts.  I few have a few more common connections I will add later on, but they are all well documented, so there will nothing really new.  As my main research interest concerns the various Macaulay families, would you have any information on the Capt. Robert Stewart who married Ealse, Alice, Macaulay, day. of Maj. Alexander Macaulay and Alice Stewart.  I believe that Capt. Robert and Alice had a son, James, whose female line evolved into Dawson and Longworth, later Later Longworth-Dames.