Author Topic: What have I done?  (Read 320 times)

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What have I done?
« on: Tuesday 29 August 23 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hi, just been on my laptop and typed in GRO and it came up as GR6,? What have I done  to do that? Thank you
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: What have I done?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 August 23 10:52 BST (UK) »
Has the keyboard changed to French?  Mine does that sometimes for no apparent reason.  I have the taskbar at the bottom of the screen, some people have it at the top.  On the far righthand side of the taskbar it should show ENG.  If it doesn't click on it and change it to ENG.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 August 23 11:22 BST (UK) »
On some laptops you can make some keys on the right into number keys - they should have small number keys on them as well as the letters. You can see the arrangement at this link:

https://www.dummies.com/article/technology/computers/basic-skills/the-general-keyboard-layout-on-a-laptop-202099/

This feature can be switched on and off with the NumLock key, but exactly where this is varies from one machine to another. I suspect you've hit it by mistake some time - 'G' and 'R' are over to the left and won't be affected, but as the diagram in the link shows, 'O' gets changed to '6'.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 August 23 11:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I pressed F12 NumLk and it's back to normal, I can print off my certificate now.
Would never have known that
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 August 23 11:46 BST (UK) »
Happy to help  :)

My own preference is for a larger laptop with a separate number section on the right, so it's a potential issue that I've been aware of for a while.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk