Author Topic: Nena Lilian Prinsep  (Read 642 times)

Offline vanessa.roe

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nena Lilian Prinsep
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 November 23 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Everyone,
I think I may be able to she some light on Grace Roe - Her name was Grace Phoebe Sageman. She was married to my great-great grandfather in 1855 in Calcutta. He was George Benjamin Roe. They had one son, Melville George Roe as far I know. I think they must have become estranged as George Benjamin Roe " married" his second wife, Lavinia around 1865ish (if they did!). Anyway, there was a High Court Case in 1903 as George Benjamin Roe died intestate and various siblings and one "cousin" went to the high court to see who would receive monies from his estate in Ireland etc. They  had to prove that they were legitimate and only Melville could prove that his father and mother were married, hence he received the money from George Benjamin Roe's estate. There was apparently a separation order between George and Grace but nothing further as far as I know.  Grace's father was a writer for the East India Company. I have a copy of their marriage certificate. I always wondered what happened to Grace - maybe she was a grass widow??

Offline gmcker

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nena Lilian Prinsep
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 19 March 24 03:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have also been researching Arthur Thoby Haversleigh Prinsep, as he has was important figure in early Australian soccer.

Thanks for the information regarding Grace Roe and her husband. From what I have seen George had several "wives".

Grace not divorcing would explain why she never married Henry Thoby Prinsep, and thus never appears on the Prinsep family tree.

As a by-the-by Ernest Charles Prinsep played soccer with Arthur Conan Doyle in Portsmouth. It appears Ernest went to Newark Magnus school in Nottinghamshire, and Arthur presumably did as well as he was in Nottinghamshire as Ernest was finishing his schooling, and was associationed with Newark FC. Sadly the Newark Magnus records were lost in a move of site last century.