Author Topic: Registrars  (Read 617 times)

Offline ManchesterJohnson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Registrars
« on: Tuesday 29 August 23 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Perfect for family research, one of my great great grandfathers is Daniel Williams of Wales!

I have him in the 1871 census with the right wife, child and occupation. On that census, he lists his birthplace as Newbridge, Glamorgan. His age shown is 28 which puts his date of birth as Q2 1843 to Q1 1844.

Thankfully when I check FreeBMD, there's not that many Daniel Williams come up in Glamorgan for that date period.

So my question is if Daniel was born in Newbridge, where is the likeliest place his birth would be registered? I'm seeing Cardiff, Newport M or Llanelly as potentials...

I figured if I'm going to buy birth certificates, I should start with the most likely first!

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Registrars
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 August 23 13:20 BST (UK) »
I presume you have his marriage certificate with his fathers details
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 August 23 13:28 BST (UK) »
Their marriage cert says Daniel's father's name is John, Labourer

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 August 23 13:37 BST (UK) »
Pontypridd used to be known as Newbridge and is in Glamorgan (as is Cardiff). The other places aren’t!

Unfortunately too, not all births were registered in the early days. You should also widen your dates as many people didn’t know exactly when they were born.

Where did they marry?
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 August 23 13:52 BST (UK) »
Ah, those were the closest town that came up as in Glamorgan on the FreeBMD search

Daniel and Mazella were married in Rotherham. I have been surprised at how mobile they were for 1870! He first married in Rotherham the a 2nd marriage in Sunderland then ends up in Manchester!

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 August 23 14:10 BST (UK) »
If you know his mother's maiden name, then use the GRO Index Search.
Narrow the search by using Mother's Maiden Name.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 August 23 14:29 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at the Daniel, aged 18, in 1861 at 1 Hare St, Bilston, Wolverhampton. Father John, labourer, mother Mary, and Daniel, all born Glamorgan. May not be the family, but worth a look.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 August 23 14:42 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I don’t know the mother’s maiden name.

I’ve used the GRO search previously so I understand how that would help me if I did know the maiden name.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 August 23 14:53 BST (UK) »
Do you know if Daniel had any siblings, witnesses at the marriage, or living with him at any census?

There is a John, labourer, and Mary Williams, in Llantwit Fardre in 1851 (but no children with them). Only mentioned as Llantwit Fardre would have been in Cardiff registration district in 1843, before being moved to Pontypridd (Newbridge as was). Daniel could have been with grandparents on the census night.