Author Topic: Joseph Fleming, Brigham, Cockermouth.  (Read 501 times)

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Joseph Fleming, Brigham, Cockermouth.
« on: Wednesday 30 August 23 21:18 BST (UK) »
Is anyone researching this family please?  I have Joseph Fleming born 1828 and brother Robert born 1834, both Cockermouth.  I cannot get back to their father Robert, as the only information I have is from Joseph's marriage certificate to Frances Hodgson on 24/7/1856, which states that his father Robert is deceased.  Robert (brother) was married after Joseph so the same certificate information will apply.

Also there are probably other children, but I haven't found them.

Are there are other ways I might find their father?

Honeybun

Buckett, Woolton: Kent
Buckett: Hampshire and Surrey
Taylor: Wigan
Preece: Herefordshire

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Fleming, Brigham, Cockermouth.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 August 23 22:49 BST (UK) »
Baptisms of children in All Saints Cockermouth to Robert and Mary Fleming:
Matthew Jackson Fleming – Oct 1822  [He married in 1845 to Dorothy Barrowscale]; died 1852.
Jackson Fleming – July 1827 [He married in 1868 to widow Ann Jordan, nee Brennan]
Joseph Fleming – 11 May 1834
Isaac Fleming – 11 May 1834 (died 1836)
Robert Fleming – 11 May 1834

1851 census for Robert and Mary plus son
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SG2L-9SL

1841 census
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M73V-T89
I believe Robert's occupation here says "tanner journeyman"
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 August 23 22:57 BST (UK) »
Be  aware (to avoid confusion)– there is another Fleming family in St Bees – parents are Robert and Mary and they have children with similar names. That Robert Fleming is a farmer. I think the wife is Mary Moore (marriage 1815). 
I don’t believe this is  your family.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 August 23 23:00 BST (UK) »
I think this is possibly the marriage for your Robert and Mary:

Marriage Low Lorton Cumberland 1 Aug 1812
Robert FLEMING to Mary STABLER
Grooms abode – Loweswater
Brides abode – Lorton

Other children: -
Sarah Fleming baptism 12 Feb 1815 Brigham
John Fleming baptism 11 May 1817 Brigham.

Possibly a son named William bapt July 1819 in Low Lorton – father Robert (labourer) and mother Mary.
Abode - Littlethwaite
(see FreeReg)

I couldn’t find baptisms for these girls with the family in the census
Jane Fleming – born about 1815
Martha Fleming – born about 1825

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 August 23 23:33 BST (UK) »
Death certificates to consider:

Death in S Quarter 1851 in COCKERMOUTH for Robert Fleming age 69 (Burial 31st July)

Death in M Quarter 1854 in COCKERMOUTH for Mary Fleming age 69 (Burial 22 January)

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 August 23 20:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you so very much for all this information.
I came across the entry for Robert and Mary's marriage in Low Lorton on FreeReg, but I wasn't sure if it fitted in with the rest of their family tree because most of the Flemings I have found appear to be in Cockermouth, Brigham or Whitehaven and I didn't know if this place was in the same area.  I don't know anything about Cumberland geography except for looking at a map!
I did get the death certificate of the Robert Fleming who died in 1851 but I don't think it is the same person - I'll go back and check the Census again.  The woman who was in attendance at his death wasn't a relative but someone who lived a few doors down in the same street, and as his wife died after him I would have expected her to be present.
I was also really put off by the name "Jackson" cropping up in the family unless it was a family name/surname further back - I haven't come across it before in any of the families.
I'm now going to follow this line and hope it is useful.  Many thanks once again.
Honeybun

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 August 23 22:28 BST (UK) »
I did get the death certificate of the Robert Fleming who died in 1851 but I don't think it is the same person - I'll go back and check the Census again.  The woman who was in attendance at his death wasn't a relative but someone who lived a few doors down in the same street, and as his wife died after him I would have expected her to be present.
Hi Honeybun, Can you post more information about the death certificate so I know what it says. The woman in attendance at his death may have been helping the family, and perhaps was literate, whereas his wife was not.

I was also really put off by the name "Jackson" cropping up in the family unless it was a family name/surname further back - I haven't come across it before in any of the families.

Yes, you definitely need to look at the family name "Jackson", as it will take you back to earlier generations.

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 31 August 23 22:56 BST (UK) »
I didn't think about the literacy aspect of the informant on the death certificate - also might it have been a relative by marriage?  Her name was Margaret Taylor and she lived a few doors away from the Flemings in Skinner Street (from the Census in 1841 and 1851).   She was "in attendance" - so perhaps had helped to look after him?

I'll also look at the Jackson surname as you suggest.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 August 23 23:04 BST (UK) »
Given the address in Skinner Street, I think that is the correct death certificate.
Margaret Taylor may have had some nursing skills, or was just a helpful and caring neighbour.

I was looking at the Jackson Fleming name yesterday, and am still trying to make sense of it all, and follow various family lines. I will post some more information later.