Author Topic: Joseph Fleming, Brigham, Cockermouth.  (Read 500 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Fleming, Brigham, Cockermouth.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 31 August 23 23:08 BST (UK) »
Given the address in Skinner Street, I think that is the correct death certificate.
Margaret Taylor may have had some nursing skills, or was just a helpful and caring neighbour.

I've just seen that Margaret Taylor's husband George, was also a leather tanner (a currier) so he may have worked along side Robert Fleming, or at least knew him through his work.

Robert’s widow may not have been well enough or able to walk to the registry office to record her husband’s death. They are a few reasons that someone else would do it on her account.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 September 23 01:45 BST (UK) »
I think the name “Jackson” in your Fleming family starts here:

Henry FLEMING (Yeoman of Ennerdale) marriage 15 Sep 1720 in Whitehaven to Catherine JACKSON

Amongst their offspring was a son named Robert FLEMING baptised in Ennerdale on 9 Sep 1726.

That Robert FLEMING b. 1726 (Yeoman of “Whins farm” Ennerdale) married Eleanor WILLIAMSON on 22 Sept 1750 in Ennerdale.
Whins farm on map:   https://mapcarta.com/W497636718

Children of Robert FLEMING and Eleanor WILLIAMSON (baptisms I could find)
•   Jackson FLEMING b. 1752 married Sarah SAUL in 1776 (– I think this is your direct line)
•   Jane FLEMING b. 1754
•   Sarah FLEMING b. 1756
•   Mary FLEMING b. 1759
•   Nicholas FLEMING b. 1761 [ farmer in St. Bees - married Elizabeth / Betty, and they are the parents of Robert Fleming b. 1790 who married Mary Moore and lived in St Bees]
•   Robert FLEMING b. 1764

There is possibly a second marriage for Robert FLEMING in 1779 Dean to Mary IRVING – 2 more children: Martha 1784 and Jonas 1779.

Jackson FLEMING b. 1752 married 10 Nov 1776 to Sarah SAULE (banns read in Dean and Lamplugh)
Jackson was from Dean, a husbandman; Sarah was a spinster from Lamplugh (bapt 1754)
https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5b3f151cf493fd64b0e939db/sarah-saul-jackson-fleming-marriage-cumberland-lamplugh-1776-11-10?locale=en

Children of Jackson FLEMING and Sarah SAULE (those with baptism records I could find)
•   Eleanor Fleming b.1777 [ possibly married Peter Hannah 1800]
•   Joseph Fleming b.1779 [ possibly married Jane Walton 1820 in Durham]
Your Robert Fleming - missing baptism fits here? [married Mary Stabler 1812]
•   Henry Fleming b.1784 [ possibly married Mary Watson 1807]
•   Mary Fleming b.1788  [ possibly married Joseph Simpson in 1814]
•   Jane Fleming b.1790   [ possibly married William Telford in 1811]
•   Hannah Fleming b.1793 [ possibly married John Atkinson 1813]

I suspect (but cannot prove) that your Robert belongs to this family, and was born about 1782 . There are gaps in the baptisms which makes me think he was born before (or perhaps after) Henry. Jackson named his first daughter after his mother Eleanor.
The first son Joseph was named after Sarah Saul’s father.
It would follow that the next son would be named Robert after Jackson’s father.

Additional info:
Jackson Fleming land tax 1798  for Parish of Ullock
Jackson Fleming died 31 Oct 1820 Ullock

Problems –
-   We are missing a baptism for your Robert Fleming born about 1782, but there appear to be gaps in the records.
-   The 1851 census has his place of birth as “Westray” – and I have no idea where that is in Cumberland. Was it the name of a house or farm - was it Westray farm near Cockermouth? Don’t know.
-   Mostly I have seen only transcriptions of records – very frustrating. Viewing original records might yield more information / detail which would be useful.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 September 23 01:57 BST (UK) »
Just found this – I haven’t look at it in much detail.
https://freepages.rootsweb.com/~ckfamilyhistory/genealogy/flemdespage.htm
Don’t assume it’s all correct unless you check documentation.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 September 23 03:17 BST (UK) »
Robert Fleming born 1726 died in 1786

Will of Robert Fleming, Yeoman of Ullock

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/76157134-8437-43fe-87aa-d0e6b3d40104
           This is someone else's interpretation of the will .......

The will was made on 9th of November 1784 and was proved 18th of April 1786 the value was under three hundred pounds and the executor was Jackson Fleming. 
Sons Nicholas and Joseph Fleming are to get fifty five pounds each, his son Jonah is to get thirty pounds and his daughter Sarah the wife of David Walker is to get forty pounds.  His daughter Jane wife of Thomas Fearon if to get forty pounds. His daughter Catherine is to get one shilling and his other daughter Eleanor is to get fifty pounds. His other daughter Martha is to get five pounds and his grandson Robert Walker is to get five pounds and his grand-daughter Eleanor Fearon is to get five pounds and his grand-daughter Eleanor Fleming (daughter of Jackson Fleming) is to get five pounds.
To be paid to the several legatees who shall be of age at the end of twelve months after his decease without interest.  To the other legatees at the age of 21 with interest from the time of his decease.
    If any of his children die before 21 then their share will be equally divided amongst the others with the exception of Katherine and Martha who will have nothing.
    His son Jackson Fleming is to have all residue after expenses and if any his money is subject to bad debts the legacies are to be reduced proportionately. If any of his children have not reached 21 at his decease, Jackson Fleming is to give security to John Sheperd and John Fleming, trustees for the payment for their respective legacies as above.  If Jackson cannot do this then the amount of their legacies is to be paid to the trustees at the end of twelve months after this decease in trust for his children and other legatees under the age of 21.

Executors and trustees are to be:
His son Jackson Fleming and his brother-in-law John Shepherd (his late wife's, sisters's husband), and his brother John Fleming.
 Nicholas Fleming signed in a clear cultivated hand.

[This will gives you names of children that I missed baptisms for in my above post. Also, poor Jackson must have received nothing or very little from his father's estate, after all the payments made to other family members.  :( ]

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 September 23 09:33 BST (UK) »
I can't believe that you have found so much information on this family for me.  You really love doing research, thank you - I now have a lot more work to do to consolidate what you sent.  I'm very much an amateur in family history research and wonder what websites you use?

Thank you again.

Honeybun

Buckett, Woolton: Kent
Buckett: Hampshire and Surrey
Taylor: Wigan
Preece: Herefordshire

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 01 September 23 10:27 BST (UK) »
Yes, I do enjoy research, but this family has not been easy, since finding records has been frustrating.
In piecing together records and information, I have been jumping between FamilySearch, FreeReg and Ancestry. Very few were images of original documents, and transcriptions don’t always give the most complete info.

I hope you can follow all that I have posted, and please come back and ask if you need further help.