Author Topic: Grace Alice and "Cardy" HENRY  (Read 305 times)

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grace Alice and "Cardy" HENRY
« on: Thursday 31 August 23 03:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone
    I am trying to find GRACE ALICE HENRY on the NSW Electoral roll please as her husband is only listed as "Cardy" in family notices.

GRACE ALICE died in Hopewood House Darling Point NSW in 1948 and I'm hoping to find her with her hubby on the rolls as I'm sure it will have his correct name!  I'm assuming "Cardy" is a knickname!

No marriage found for this couple as yet in NSW.  Her previous names are BEATTIE, FATCHEN, LORD.

Kind regards and many thanks Dianna

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Grace Alice and "Cardy" HENRY
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 August 23 03:30 BST (UK) »
Hi I just had a quick look on Ancestry , he is listed with Grace at Clovelly 1937 as CARDY.
in 1929 they are on the rolls as Cardy and Grace in Red hill QLD, I don't feel it is a nickname

cass

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 August 23 03:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Cass T Thanks very much for that.  Well at least now I know it is his actual name, just assumed it was a nickname because I couldn't find any BDM records.  So they were in QLD as well!!

Thanks very much can now add this to the records.  Kindest regards Dianna

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 August 23 05:41 BST (UK) »
Cardy may have been a New Zealander.

A good runner in 1891
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/AG18911228.2.14.1?phrase=2&query=cardy+henry&snippet=true

Cardy Henry was possibly a pub owner in NZ when this incident took place in 1891
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/AG18911013.2.23.1?phrase=2&query=cardy+henry&snippet=true

I do not know if this Henry family is his, but he was at the wedding of Margaret HENRY 1891. Also a sister Kate of the bride is mentioned. A choral family at this particular church.
He gave a massive silver dinner cruet.

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/AG18911105.2.7?phrase=2&query=cardy+henry&snippet=true

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 August 23 05:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue
    Well that is interesting.  How common can the name Cardy Henry be.  Hmmm.  So that is in 1891 and Grace Alice (Lord/Fatchen/Beattie) was in NZ at least in 1918.

Maybe they met there!  Don't know what happened to William Beattie the second husband but it may be worth looking for a marriage in New Zealand.  Thanks very much regards Dianna

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 August 23 06:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue
    Well that is interesting.  How common can the name Cardy Henry be.  Hmmm.  So that is in 1891 and Grace Alice (Lord/Fatchen/Beattie) was in NZ at least in 1918.

Yes that is the year Grace as LORD married Wm BEATTIE

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 August 23 06:34 BST (UK) »
See In Memorium
Is his real name Cardy Henry-Lord?
Or maybe that is printed badly - her siblings names are Lord ?
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/18169929?searchTerm=%22Cardy%20Henry%22

Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 31 August 23 06:46 BST (UK) »
Hi yes the wording is a bit jumbled as they have put too memorials in together on for the Brother LORD and hubby Cardy HENRY.  Thanks Dianna

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 September 23 08:46 BST (UK) »
In this item 1899 Cardy is  still in NZ as  a cyclist.  He seems  to have had along assosciation with the Ariel Club.

In another item I posted, the one about the wedding of Margaret Henry to Denis McKendry , there was mention of Kate, a sister of the bride. (there are numerous mentions of her in regard to singing and choir etc).

I think she married a chap named Muller and the surname comes up with Cardy here below.

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/AG18990328.2.13?items_per_page=10&query=%22cardy++henry%22ariel&snippet=true&sort_by=byDA.rev

In the item I posted about the row at the Commercial Hotel, you will remember, the sisters of Cardy are mentioned.

I wonder if a post on the NZ board with this topic linked, might turn up some information in NZ.
The team there are more familiar with resources there.
Sue