Author Topic: Unexpected parentage (NPE ) could it be sperm.donation  (Read 823 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Unexpected parentage (NPE ) could it be sperm donation
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 September 23 09:36 BST (UK) »
I am reminded of a story in William Shatner's "Weird or What?" TV series: A woman was prosecuted for fraudulently claiming child support payments as the children's DNA didn't match hers. This surprised her, as she'd been there when they were born. Her lawyer unearthed a similar case where it was explained that the mother was originally going to be a twin, but the eggs coalesced resulting in different DNA depending where in her body the samples came from. Further tests led to a "not guilty" verdict.

Hello Chris

I think this that you refer to, is called Chimerism, where a child does not acquire all the usual DNA of their parents.

See the Lydia Fairchild Benefit Claim / Court Case in the United States.

I've always said to ones who think DNA is a quick solution in ancestry, that I still need all the available paperwork myself  :)

Mark

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Unexpected parentage (NPE ) could it be sperm.donation
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 September 23 12:51 BST (UK) »
I can no longer find the person who had 'sperm doner" on their tree .they matched my mother thru a different branch but I was curious enough at the time to message the manager of that tree about the circumstances
He told me his brother or uncle  had been a sperm donor in the 1970s which resulted in lots of matches to himself from a younger generation.

Thanks for the shock . horror stories 😲
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 September 23 19:55 BST (UK) »
Also cases of the sperm donor not bringing up their child.

Bridal pregnancies was very, very common, often to test paternity/trial marriage etc, but we have to allow some cases where the father was another man. For instance if a man gallantly stepped forward for a pregnant woman where the father had fled or died, or the real father decided to marry another woman. If such a man did that, and helped a woman out in a sticky situation, then it makes him very much an ancestor, and he was one of those responsible for your existence.

Such as, for example, in rural Suffolk, Mary Bloggs got pregnant in January 1784, the father was a Joe Soap. In March 1784, Joe found Mary was expecting a baby, so he ran away to London to escape his duty. Mary then met local man James Hamilton (born 1750) and he stepped forward and married Mary in August 1784. Mary had a baby boy called James Hamilton in October 1784. Any descendants of James Hamilton Jnr born Oct 1784 will have Joe Soap as a blood ancestor, but James Hamilton Snr (born 1750) was the father in every way but blood, so should be considered an ancestor of James Hamiton Jnr's descendants.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 03 September 23 21:52 BST (UK) »
Poor old Danny Dyer may have to get his royal line DNA tested.  ;)

You do not always know who the mother is either, in cases such as the recorded mother was the grandmother and the mother was the baby's "much older sister", to cover up an illegitimate birth. I am sure that is the case for my 3xgreat gran Clara whose recorded mother was 51 at the time, yet Clara had a much older sisters first name as a middle name.

Hey Coombs

Don’t go dissing my Cousin Danny

:D

I am also his cousin as well, due to my gateway ancestor.  ;D

Diss away Cousin Coombs

We are family after all.

Online Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 14 September 23 18:22 BST (UK) »
The "Wierd or What?" episode I mentioned is showing NOW, on Blaze, Freeview Channel 64. There are 3 items in each episode; the chimera one should be in the next half hour. May be findable on blaze.tv also.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.