Author Topic: Mary Butcher [widow]  (Read 199 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Mary Butcher [widow]
« on: Thursday 31 August 23 13:18 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I wonder if anyone here can help identify this woman.

My ancestor, John Darby married a woman named Mary Butcher on 21 April 1766 at Hackington (St Stephen), Kent. At the time both he, and Mary, were widowed.

So far I have not been able to identify Mary's maiden name or find a first marriage for her. Ancestry shows 23 marriages for the name "Butcher" to women with the first name "Mary" between 1755 and 1756 but I can't see any in the Hackington area.

John and Mary had four children between 1767 and 1770 so if she was in her 20s when they married then I am guessing she was possibly born in 1740s or maybe late 1730s. John himself was born in 1735 in Birchington.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any suggestions or ideas here.

Matt

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Butcher [widow]
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 August 23 14:49 BST (UK) »
Have you tried F/S for marriages for a Butcher to a Mary 1756-1764 ish.
Then look for children to them.
+ a Burial for that male Butcher before 1766.

If children to say Daniel/Mary Butcher are born after 1766 you can eliminate that couple.
Tedious but may be lead you to Mary's maiden name.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Butcher [widow]
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 September 23 00:12 BST (UK) »
Have you tried F/S for marriages for a Butcher to a Mary 1756-1764 ish.
Then look for children to them.
+ a Burial for that male Butcher before 1766.

If children to say Daniel/Mary Butcher are born after 1766 you can eliminate that couple.
Tedious but may be lead you to Mary's maiden name.

Hi there

Yes I tried that several times in the past but with no luck. I've only just looked at my Darby tree again recently and so thought I'd see if anyone here has any ideas as I still can't locate a suitable marriage.

As I said in my post I recently found 23 marriages for Butcher men to women named Mary but none are close to Hackington from what I can tell bylooking at the map.

Matt