Author Topic: is there voting lists available for saltcoats 1929  (Read 825 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: is there voting lists available for saltcoats 1929
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 September 23 09:41 BST (UK) »
You want to know the names of your target person's parents.

You evidently have his son's marriage certificate.

You need to find his son's birth certificate, which will tell you the name of his wife if you don't already know that.

That will lead you to his own marriage certificate. If he married in Scotland it will tell you the names of both his parents including his mother's maiden surname but if he married in England it will only tell you the name (and occupation) of his father.

If his son got married in 1950, your target person must be in the early 20th century censuses. All the censuses until 1921 are available online. They will tell you where your target person was born.

If he was in England in 1939 you might be able to find him in the 1939 Register which will also tell you his date of birth.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline raa

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • humbug
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 September 23 10:02 BST (UK) »
yes i know all that but some of it doesnt add up ill get there in end thanks though if he did join forces im hoping he was still at that adress and ill be able to find his dob

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 September 23 10:29 BST (UK) »
Why not tell us what of that information you already have, including names, dates and places, and see if someone can come up with another idea?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline raa

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • humbug
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 September 23 12:24 BST (UK) »
ok but some of it doesnt add up 1929 James Hollywood and Mary Summers had son John Grainger summers hollywood 1925 1930 1935  James is living at 8 arthur street as far as i know James never got married his son married oct 1950 in  gateshead he states his father name is John Grainger Summers Hollywood deceased a baker so his father died before november 1950. what doesnt add up is his name as on his sons birth cert hes calling himself James  also hes known as james between 1925 and 1935 yet his son states his father is called John Grainger Summers Hollywood occ baker  which as i believe John b 1929 is named after his mother i cant see how his father can have same name unless its mistake by registrar

Offline raa

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • humbug
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 September 23 12:32 BST (UK) »
so only facts i have is James is living at 8 Arthur st thanks to voting lists betwen 1925 and 1935 if voting at that time in scotland was age 21 that at least tells me James was born 1904 or earlier

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 01 September 23 15:48 BST (UK) »
I got those dates from the valuation rolls, not from voters' rolls. Looking again, James Hollywood is tenant and occupier of 8 Arthur Street in 1915, 1920, 1924, 1930 and 1935. He doesn't appear to be on the roll at all in 1905. In 1940 he is not at 8 Arthur Street. There is a James Hollywood, tenant and occupier of 14 St Medan's Place, Saltcoats, in 1940 (who wasn't there in 1935). Perhaps that's him after a flit.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 01 September 23 16:12 BST (UK) »
There is this death showing on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

JAMES HOLLYWOOD
Age 72
576 / 137
Ardrossan and Saltcoats

Might connect to your searches here?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 01 September 23 16:33 BST (UK) »
From the index for 1921, there is this likely household in Stevenson, Ayrshire:

James Hollywood 50
Annie 45
Joseph 21 www.findagrave.com/memorial/15233762/joseph-dickson-hollywood
James 16
Annie 15
Thomas 12
Mary 8
John 6
Maggie 4
Peter 1

Ref 615/ 12/ 12

This family was also in Stevenson for the 1911 census.

Without knowing Mary Summers age when son John was born, hard to guess at James Hollywood's age. But from the above listing (and a guess by me), could the James Snr above be the one showing in the VRs that GR2 has pulled together? And James Jnr be the one who fathered John in 1929?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 01 September 23 16:33 BST (UK) »
ok but some of it doesnt add up 1929 James Hollywood and Mary Summers had son John Grainger summers hollywood 1925 1930 1935  James is living at 8 arthur street as far as i know James never got married his son married oct 1950 in  gateshead he states his father name is John Grainger Summers Hollywood deceased a baker so his father died before november 1950. what doesnt add up is his name as on his sons birth cert hes calling himself James  also hes known as james between 1925 and 1935 yet his son states his father is called John Grainger Summers Hollywood occ baker  which as i believe John b 1929 is named after his mother i cant see how his father can have same name unless its mistake by registrar
Are you saying that John Grainger Summers Hollywood was born in 1929?

And are you saying that his father signed the birth certificate as James Hollywood, and that he gave his address as 8 Arthur Street and his occupation as baker?

If not, please tell us exactly what the birth certificate does say.