Author Topic: Drysdale family roots in Clackmannanshire in 15th & 16th Centuries - family tree  (Read 434 times)

Offline Ronda231

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The attached pdfs give tree and tabular views of known Drysdale families in Scotland in the 15th and 16th Centuries (principally Clackmannan but also Fife, Stirling and Midlothian).

The source material that supports these names can be seen & downloaded on the Familysearch website in the tree associated with the root person "Mr Drysdale 1410" Tillicoultry ID G2S7-JYJ

Regards

Offline gensearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Drysdale family roots in Clackmannanshire in 15th & 16th Centuries - family tree
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 December 23 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ronda231,

That is a great document showing the tree associated with the Drysdales for the 15th & 16th centuries. I have an ancestor, James Drysdale, who was born in Clackmannan in 1680. Of course, it would be amazing to be able to link my ancestor to the group from your document. I have also compiled a list from online census data to indicate the population changes for Drysdales in various centres which is attached.

Best,
Robert

Offline Ronda231

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Drysdale family roots in Clackmannanshire in 15th & 16th Centuries - family tree
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 December 23 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robert,
Thank you for your comments, unfortunately by the late 1600s there were many Drysdales in the Clackmannan & surrounding areas and finding the right path can sometimes be difficult.
James was a popular name then and there are a few on the familysearch website that may be worth investigating. Here's one that could be relevant:
 James Drysdale  Male  24 April 1680 – Deceased • K4N9-5TH

Regards & seasons greetings!

Offline gensearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 December 23 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ronda,

Yes, that James Drysdale is my ancestor. The date of April 24, 1860 matches. What a wonderful holiday gift that you have provided. Thank you! 

It would appear going back that ancestors prior to James had been living in Tillicoultry before Clackmannan. One was even married in Dollar. It would at least seem possible that they could be linked to the 3 Douglas brothers. Given your chart going back to the early 1400s, however, it would certainly seem that there would have been a lot of Drysdales in the area beneath the Ochil Hills prior to the arrival of the 3 Douglas brothers assuming that story is accurate. So the 3 Douglas brothers probably would have made up only a small percentage of the total Drysdales.

Do you know any Drysdales who can trace their genealogy back to any of these people from the tables that you have posted who has taken a Y-dna test? 

Regards & seasons greetings!
Robert

Offline Ronda231

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 December 23 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robert,

I'm glad you're making some progress in your research - good luck with that.

Regarding the three Douglas brothers and the story of them adopting the name Drysdale in 1503, I have done quite extensive research on that subject and have been unable to find any credible source information that supports this 'legend'.
Maybe there is an element of truth to it but in the absence of any credible evidence I would tend to disregard its relevance to Drysdale Genealogy.

Regarding DNA testing, while I suppose links to the Douglas Clan could be revealed by such tests I'm not aware of anyone who has done one.

In my opinion anybody who willingly submits their DNA to one of the 'secure' online databases is taking a bit of a risk given the world's situation today.

A happy New Year to you!

Offline Ronda231

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 December 23 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Post dated 31-8-23 refers

The attached pdfs give tree and tabular views of known Drysdale families in Scotland in the 15th and 16th Centuries (principally Clackmannan but also Fife, Stirling and Midlothian).

The source material that supports these names can be seen & downloaded on the Familysearch website in the tree associated with the root person "Mr Drysdale 1410" Tillicoultry ID G2S7-JYJ

Regards

An updated tree with a few amendments dated 31-12-23 is enclosed

Regards

Offline gensearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 January 24 01:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for the updated charts Ronda!

Happy New Year!
Robert

Offline Ronda231

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 January 24 02:25 GMT (UK) »
And a happy new year to you too!!