Author Topic: Oakwood Cemetery Troy N.Y  (Read 480 times)

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mary Hall nee Nevins 28-9-1914 - 16-3-2011
    • View Profile
Oakwood Cemetery Troy N.Y
« on: Friday 01 September 23 12:21 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I’ve just obtained a death certificate for my GGG grandmother, who emigrated from Ireland to US in the 1870s.
It states that she was interred in Oakwood Cemetery Troy, N.Y.
I checked Family search and the following location of her grave is given - 5   329 55-4
Does anyone know of a map of the cemetery that makes sense of the above co ordinates?
She was buried on 12 February 1924.

Many thanks
MAGEE (Dungannon Tyrone to Shankill Belfast, to Whitehouse Co Antrim,) HALL (Lisnaskea, Fermanagh to Yan Yean, Melbourne Australia) McIVOR (Whitehouse, Co Antrim), McCULLOUGH (Markethill, Armagh), DEMPSTER (Ballymena, Co Antrim to Belfast), CUMMING (Glasgow), EVANS (Llandysill, Montgomeryshire to Belfast), NEVIN/ NEVINS (Ballynahinch, Co Down to Belfast), EMMS (Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey), HURREY (Yan Yean, Whittlesea, Melbourne), FINLAY- Jane, of Co Down, m James McIvor 1867. HOBSON Tyrone

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Oakwood Cemetery Troy N.Y
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 September 23 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi. This is their website if it is of any help.

https://www.oakwoodcemetery.org/

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 September 23 13:56 BST (UK) »
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 September 23 14:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone.
I believe the cemetery must have been remapped at some point between 1924 and present, as there are only numbers and no letters on the reference.
MAGEE (Dungannon Tyrone to Shankill Belfast, to Whitehouse Co Antrim,) HALL (Lisnaskea, Fermanagh to Yan Yean, Melbourne Australia) McIVOR (Whitehouse, Co Antrim), McCULLOUGH (Markethill, Armagh), DEMPSTER (Ballymena, Co Antrim to Belfast), CUMMING (Glasgow), EVANS (Llandysill, Montgomeryshire to Belfast), NEVIN/ NEVINS (Ballynahinch, Co Down to Belfast), EMMS (Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey), HURREY (Yan Yean, Whittlesea, Melbourne), FINLAY- Jane, of Co Down, m James McIvor 1867. HOBSON Tyrone

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 September 23 14:49 BST (UK) »
…It states that she was interred in Oakwood Cemetery Troy, N.Y.
I checked Family search and the following location of her grave is given - 5   329 55-4
…She was buried on 12 February 1924…

Could it have been Section 5, Row 329, Plot 55, Grave 4
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 September 23 22:47 BST (UK) »
…It states that she was interred in Oakwood Cemetery Troy, N.Y.
…She was buried on 12 February 1924…

Could it have been Section 5, Row 329, Plot 55, Grave 4
Thank you that’s very logical, however looking at the most recent maps, the sections are labelled with letters but the reference does not have this so it’s not possible to pinpoint the section.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 September 23 23:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone.
I believe the cemetery must have been remapped at some point between 1924 and present, as there are only numbers and no letters on the reference.

I believe I read earlier that the cemetery purchased land (at some point) to expand.  [Apologies if I am incorrect.]  If that is true, they could have renamed their sections.  However, while I’ve not researched a lot of cemeteries, I’ve actually not come across any cemeteries that renamed sections.  :-\

Perhaps a cemetery office staff member might be able to answer your question?

Added:  when trying to find graves in California (for friends’ ancestors), the office staff have always been very helpful and in one case, they offered to call a groundskeeper to show us around.  I would hope that the staff would be willing to let you know in what area she was interred.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline jmagarac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 September 23 03:43 BST (UK) »
I believe I read earlier that the cemetery purchased land (at some point) to expand.  [Apologies if I am incorrect.]  If that is true, they could have renamed their sections.  However, while I’ve not researched a lot of cemeteries, I’ve actually not come across any cemeteries that renamed sections.  :-\

Perhaps a cemetery office staff member might be able to answer your question?

Added:  when trying to find graves in California (for friends’ ancestors), the office staff have always been very helpful and in one case, they offered to call a groundskeeper to show us around.  I would hope that the staff would be willing to let you know in what area she was interred.

I have also found this to be true. My father worked in a Catholic Cemetery for over 40 years. He and my Mother are now interred there. It is an old cemetery... and many of the records are either incomplete, inaccurate or simply missing or never recorded.

If one were to call the office with any inquiry about the location of a grave or the final resting place of a loved one - they will most definitely try to help you. If you have a document, or some reference to an existing understanding of their location - it is very helpful to them in their efforts to assist you.

If they can help you, they will send a cemetery worker to mark the street, the section and even the grave with a ribbon or something to guide you. If they can, they will even meet with you personally and walk with you to the location.

Of course, this often depends upon how large the cemetery is and how well staffed they are.

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 September 23 09:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone.
I have sent an email to the cemetery.
Hopefully they will respond as I can’t go there in person.
It would be nice to know.