Author Topic: Oakwood Cemetery Troy N.Y  (Read 479 times)

Offline jmagarac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Oakwood Cemetery Troy N.Y
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 September 23 16:25 BST (UK) »
You might find this interesting - and perhaps helpful. When immigrants came to America, they often moved to neighborhoods already established by their fellow countrymen. We called them enclaves. If someone were looking for someone, we could often give them a possible suggestions/directions simply based on the sound or spelling of the surname. Not so curiously, it was the same in death. These enclaves prepared for the inevitable... and bought lots in specific sections in the local cemeteries. If they hadn't previously bought a plot - there was usually an open grave space within that section.

That being said... I worked in a previously mentioned cemetery with my father (for a summer job) and often remarked how some sections were almost exclusively IRISH. Others were Polish. The Italians were down low in the grounds and had the most mausoleums. My relatives were buried in an old section, often with tombstones that read Ovde Poćiva u Miru Božjem.

Section "C' were the Irish. I remember it well. I walked the grounds repeatedly (as I was a hand pushing lawnmower grass cutter). Section C were all the classic Irish names. Also family members bought entire lots (sections containing plots). Section C was full and had been for a long, long time... it was not surprising to see that a section adjoining and slightly above (Section F) was an extension of the Irish families. It began right where C left off and continued to the right for half an acre, until it petered off into more generic sounding names.

I mention this because if your ancestor was Irish... they may have done the same things in the Oakwood Cemetery.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 September 23 21:22 BST (UK) »
You might find this interesting - and perhaps helpful…These enclaves prepared for the inevitable... and bought lots in specific sections in the local cemeteries. If they hadn't previously bought a plot - there was usually an open grave space within that section.

…some sections were almost exclusively IRISH. Others were Polish. The Italians were down low in the grounds and had the most mausoleums.

Very interesting points! I’ve not run across them before but then I’ve not researched cemetery goings-on.  ;D

Thinking back, while looking for hubby’s (Irish) relatives/ancestors in a large cemetery, we passed a row of mausoleums - I believe the majority of the surnames etched into the structures were Italian. I just assumed the families had a lot of money (more than the Irish and other nationalities) but perhaps it was the same concept that you mentioned.

In one section (where ancestors were interred), I do remember seeing an overwhelming amount of headstones with Irish surnames.  At the time, I thought it reflected the fact that it was a Roman Catholic cemetery but, thinking about our visit, there must have been a mixture of ethnic(?) surnames on headstones we passed to get to the section or I wouldn’t have noticed the abundance of Irish names in the ancestors’ section.

Thank you for sharing, jmagarac.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mary Hall nee Nevins 28-9-1914 - 16-3-2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 September 23 14:19 BST (UK) »
You might find this interesting - and perhaps helpful. When immigrants came to America, they often moved to neighborhoods already established by their fellow countrymen. We called them enclaves. If someone were looking for someone, we could often give them a possible suggestions/directions simply based on the sound or spelling of the surname. Not so curiously, it was the same in death. These enclaves prepared for the inevitable... and bought lots in specific sections in the local cemeteries. If they hadn't previously bought a plot - there was usually an open grave space within that section.

That being said... I worked in a previously mentioned cemetery with my father (for a summer job) and often remarked how some sections were almost exclusively IRISH. Others were Polish. The Italians were down low in the grounds and had the most mausoleums. My relatives were buried in an old section, often with tombstones that read Ovde Poćiva u Miru Božjem.

Section "C' were the Irish. I remember it well. I walked the grounds repeatedly (as I was a hand pushing lawnmower grass cutter). Section C were all the classic Irish names. Also family members bought entire lots (sections containing plots). Section C was full and had been for a long, long time... it was not surprising to see that a section adjoining and slightly above (Section F) was an extension of the Irish families. It began right where C left off and continued to the right for half an acre, until it petered off into more generic sounding names.

I mention this because if your ancestor was Irish... they may have done the same things in the Oakwood Cemetery.
Thank you for this, it really is an interesting and enlightening observation. Cohoes had quite a few Irish immigrants, particularly spinning mill workers who had come to work in the newly opened Harmony Mills. My ancestor was a weaver, so she found employment there. The 1880 census shows that many of her co workers were also Irish.
If anyone knows of an “Irish section” at Oakwood I’d love to know about it.
Thanks again jmagarac
MAGEE (Dungannon Tyrone to Shankill Belfast, to Whitehouse Co Antrim,) HALL (Lisnaskea, Fermanagh to Yan Yean, Melbourne Australia) McIVOR (Whitehouse, Co Antrim), McCULLOUGH (Markethill, Armagh), DEMPSTER (Ballymena, Co Antrim to Belfast), CUMMING (Glasgow), EVANS (Llandysill, Montgomeryshire to Belfast), NEVIN/ NEVINS (Ballynahinch, Co Down to Belfast), EMMS (Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey), HURREY (Yan Yean, Whittlesea, Melbourne), FINLAY- Jane, of Co Down, m James McIvor 1867. HOBSON Tyrone

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 03 September 23 15:18 BST (UK) »
Schenectady Gazette
Monday, Feb 11, 1924
Schenectady, NY
Page: 2

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 03 September 23 15:31 BST (UK) »
Schenectady Gazette
Monday, Feb 11, 1924
Schenectady, NY
Page: 2
Oh WOW!!!
What an amazing find!
Thank you so much for posting this!!
MAGEE (Dungannon Tyrone to Shankill Belfast, to Whitehouse Co Antrim,) HALL (Lisnaskea, Fermanagh to Yan Yean, Melbourne Australia) McIVOR (Whitehouse, Co Antrim), McCULLOUGH (Markethill, Armagh), DEMPSTER (Ballymena, Co Antrim to Belfast), CUMMING (Glasgow), EVANS (Llandysill, Montgomeryshire to Belfast), NEVIN/ NEVINS (Ballynahinch, Co Down to Belfast), EMMS (Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey), HURREY (Yan Yean, Whittlesea, Melbourne), FINLAY- Jane, of Co Down, m James McIvor 1867. HOBSON Tyrone

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 03 September 23 20:09 BST (UK) »
…Cohoes had quite a few Irish immigrants, particularly spinning mill workers who had come to work in the newly opened Harmony Mills. My ancestor was a weaver, so she found employment there.  The 1880 census shows that many of her co workers were also Irish…

I originally popped into your posting to see if I could be of any help.  Reading about jmagarac’s experiences was very interesting.  But, I found the above to be a possible “aha moment”.  Hubby’s ancestors were born in Ireland, most likely met in Scotland (where they married), immigrated 1869 or early 1870, and lived in Lansingburgh, NY until the mid-1870s.  (Female ancestor worked in a Scottish jute mill; they were living in her relatives’ home in 1870.)  Perhaps her relatives wrote to them and encouraged them to immigrate and work in a local mill.  It’s something for me to think about.  :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 04 September 23 12:02 BST (UK) »
…Cohoes had quite a few Irish immigrants, particularly spinning mill workers who had come to work in the newly opened Harmony Mills. My ancestor was a weaver, so she found employment there.  The 1880 census shows that many of her co workers were also Irish…

I originally popped into your posting to see if I could be of any help.  Reading about jmagarac’s experiences was very interesting.  But, I found the above to be a possible “aha moment”.  Hubby’s ancestors were born in Ireland, most likely met in Scotland (where they married), immigrated 1869 or early 1870, and lived in Lansingburgh, NY until the mid-1870s.  (Female ancestor worked in a Scottish jute mill; they were living in her relatives’ home in 1870.)  Perhaps her relatives wrote to them and encouraged them to immigrate and work in a local mill.  It’s something for me to think about.  :)
Hi I’m really glad this has given you food for thought!
I believe the newer mill at harmony opened in 1872, that is the year my ggg grandmother emigrated.
She had friends already out there, so like your ancestor, I believe she’d got a letter telling her about the opportunities!
Belfast in 1870 was in the midst of a smallpox epidemic. Family members died of it. It was really a no brainier to leave and seek a better life elsewhere.