Author Topic: Records for sailors  (Read 303 times)

Offline Mart56

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Records for sailors
« on: Friday 01 September 23 13:42 BST (UK) »
My great-grandmother's brothers were in the merchant navy.  William was born 1831 Laugharne and George 1834 Llandawke.  I lost track of them both after 1851 but recently found William getting married to a Maria Davis (she was then a widow named Chewings) in Cardiff in 1856.  William, George and Maria are not to be found (at least by me) on the 1861 or subsequent censuses.  I can't find them on local sailing records or emigration data.  Deaths at sea is one I haven't checked.  Is there such  a record?  Any ideas welcome.
Hare (Pembrokeshire and Glamorgan), Stanford (Glamorgan), Hodgson (Lincolnshire and Surrey), Sugden (Keighley and Worcestershire), Griffiths (Kidwelly and Glamorgan), Collins (Kidderminster), Evans (Cwmavon), Mainwaring (Llanedi and Cwmavon), Rees (Neath), Jones (Resolven), Paddison (Neath), Davies (Crynant), Bevan (Tonna).

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: RECORDS FOR SAILORS
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 September 23 14:57 BST (UK) »
My great-grandmother's brothers were in the merchant navy.  William was born 1831 Laugharne and George 1834 Llandawke.  I lost track of them both after 1851 but recently found William getting married to a Maria Davis (she was then a widow named Chewings) in Cardiff in 1856.  William, George and Maria are not to be found (at least by me) on the 1861 or subsequent censuses.  I can't find them on local sailing records or emigration data.  Deaths at sea is one I haven't checked.  Is there such  a record?  Any ideas welcome.

I assume their surname was Hare

Marriage Mar qtr 1856   
CHEWING    Maria       
HARE    William       
Cardiff    11a   254
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mart56

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 September 23 15:59 BST (UK) »
Sorry, yes.  Their father Richard was steward to Lord Kensington in London and then moved to South Wales, settling eventually in Saundersfoot.
Hare (Pembrokeshire and Glamorgan), Stanford (Glamorgan), Hodgson (Lincolnshire and Surrey), Sugden (Keighley and Worcestershire), Griffiths (Kidwelly and Glamorgan), Collins (Kidderminster), Evans (Cwmavon), Mainwaring (Llanedi and Cwmavon), Rees (Neath), Jones (Resolven), Paddison (Neath), Davies (Crynant), Bevan (Tonna).

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 September 23 22:34 BST (UK) »
There's a Maria Hare in the newspapers and criminal/prison/workhouse records in Cardiff/Glamorgan in the early 1860s. Sometimes of Whitmore Lane

Also a William Hare , landlord of the Mariners Arms in Whitmore Lane 1858/59 - fined for various wrong doing in running the  pub

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 September 23 07:57 BST (UK) »
In one report he's recorded as William Ayres