Author Topic: Former Nazereth House, Aberdeen inmates!  (Read 1286 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Former Nazereth House, Aberdeen inmates!
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 14 September 23 20:46 BST (UK) »

Births 2nd Qrt 1940
Patrick M. Doogan
Mother's maiden name Watson   
Rotherham (Yorkshire East Riding)   
Vol. 9c Pg 1562

Births 3rd Qrt 1941
Lawrence Doogan        
Mother's maiden name Watson    
Buckrose (Yorkshire East Riding)
Vol. 9d Pg. 107

Why do you think mother's maiden name is different? Both births above show the same surname.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 14 September 23 21:02 BST (UK) »
Looking at the list of other students on the passenger manifest and staying at St Stephens house I have found at least two others were resident at Nazareth house, not looked at others.

Yes, I saw a tree including one child  with a note on the tree ‘sent aged 11yrs in 1953 to an orphanage in Australia.’
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 14 September 23 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica. As far as I am aware they were born in Ireland, as was there father. I find a marriage record for him a couple of years after there move to Australia. Without jumping the gun I am thinking they were born outside of marriage, father/mother could not cope and were placed in some form of institution prior to Aberdeen Nazareth house. There names were Patrick and Lawrence with the surname of Doogan. Doogan is correct as I remember meeting Patrick (Paddy) Doogan senior as a child. However nothing was ever said regarding the two boys. I will certainly look at the Aberdeen site thank you.

Where did your uncle marry? Are you sure these boys are connected to him?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 15 September 23 21:45 BST (UK) »

One of the boys has a place of birth the other doesn't.

giblet mentioned earlier that from the travel documents (link included) one of the boys (Lawrence) had a place of birth which showed as Yorkshire, England. We have possible birth register entries in that county, in the right quarter and year showing for their birth dates on this documents.

I have seen a marriage in England for a Patrick Doogan listed in the 1950s. Is this the marriage you found?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavePPP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 06 January 24 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica

Sorry it has taken so long to get back in touch. however the marriage you refer to in the 1950's is correct and was to my Aunty.  To answer further questions on the link. I am still awaiting a response from a number of Nazareth house offices regarding my query.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 06 January 24 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked the birth certificates already mentioned (or at least one of them) to check the parents’ names?

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 06 January 24 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica. As far as I am aware they were born in Ireland, as was there father. I find a marriage record for him a couple of years after there move to Australia. Without jumping the gun I am thinking they were born outside of marriage, father/mother could not cope and were placed in some form of institution prior to Aberdeen Nazareth house. There names were Patrick and Lawrence with the surname of Doogan. Doogan is correct as I remember meeting Patrick (Paddy) Doogan senior as a child. However nothing was ever said regarding the two boys. I will certainly look at the Aberdeen site thank you.

Until comparatively recently, in Ireland when a mother died, the father wasn't allowed to keep his children - they were put into children's homes run by Nuns.  The thinking was that fathers were not capable of looking after children.

Back in the 1980s we did some work in a Nazareth House.  The Nun in charge was a very waspish woman and my OH was shocked when he visited the home and found grown men locked in the house 24/7

I'm not surprised that you are unable to access data for the era when the church  and officials were answerable to none.

From this UK government website that lists every charity and company in the UK it can be seen that there are over eight thousand Nazareth House addresses !!

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/search?q=Nazareth+House%2C+Ireland
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline DavePPP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 06 January 24 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for this information.  It confirms a lot of what I have found about the running of NH. Still it is beneficial to know it is an avenue that is possibly closed therefore won't waste time pursuing it.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 06 January 24 13:47 GMT (UK) »
I noted one marriage as a possible:

Marriages 3rd Qrt 1938
Patrick Doogan and Dorothy M E Watson
Sheffield (Yorkshire East Riding)
Vol 9c Pg. 1549

Can't easily see them so far on the 1939 Register.
There is a possible birth in Walsall for the bride in 4th Qrt 1919, mother's maiden name Lloyd.

Monica

Just for information and may be worth investigating.
There is a Dorothy Doogan in electoral registers in 1948. At the same address there is a Francis Rowlands.
Possible marriage, Rotherham 1988 - Francis Rowlands and Dorothy Rowlands.
Death
1999 Rotherham
Dorothy Margaret E Rowlands, birth 22 Ctober 1919.